I Was Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Can I Still Have a Tt and Bbl if Its Under Control?

If you are otherwise healthy and the diabetes is well controlled, you may be a good candidate for the Brazilian buttlift and tummy tuck.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts and tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Diabetes management and cosmetic surgery

Strictly having diabetes does not preclude you from having surgery as long as it is under control.  It will be important for you to work with your medical physician and obtain medical clearance prior to surgery.  Since any surgery places a stress on the body you may have to more tightly control your diabetes and glucose levels for the first few weeks after surgery.  

Diabetic & tummy tuck

The diabetes puts you at greater risk for surgical and postop complications.  This would not preclude surgery but medical clearance would be required.  I recommend that you first discuss this with your endocrinologist.

Diabetes Doesn't Mean You Cannot Have Surgery

In general, the answer will be "yes" for most surgeons who do these procedures often.

If you have good control and are otherwise in good health, the risk of surgery is not that much higher than baseline.   In these cases I make contact with the primary care doctor or endocrinologist to make sure all is well before proceeding.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

MM for diabetics

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Type II Diabetes and cosmetic surgery

As long as you are otherwise healthy, well-controlled type II diabetes, TT and BBL can be done safely.  With any elective surgery, you want to make sure that your weight has been stable and you are medically optimized.  Your plastic surgeon will review your medical/surgical history as well as medication list and will determine whether you are good candidate for an elective, cosmetic surgery.  You want to also find out all potential risks and possible complications involved in TT/BBL.

Diabetes

Yes you can, is the simle answer. You do need to have fairly good control thou. I have operated on many diabetics and anecdotely have not seen any particularly increase in complications.

Peter Fisher MD

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I Was Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Can I Still Have a Tt and Bbl

Diabetes does increase some of the risks of the these and any procedures, and as always, the pros and cons must be weighed. 

Many patients with diabetes successfully undergo plastic surgery. I would suggest including your primary doc and/or endocrinologist in discussing and assessing risk. All the best. 

Diabetes puts you at higher risk for infection

Any potential surgical patient should meet  with a board certified plastic surgeon in person.  After a thorough review of your medical history and an appropriate examination,  the PS and the patient should discuss goals and expectations.  If the patient is a candidate than surgery can be scheduled.  Diabetes, even well controlled, generally puts a patient at higher risk for infection and healing problems.  Best of luck to you.