I had a hair transplant a month ago. It itches due to Minoxidil that I apply. Unconsciously I have scratched sometimes (Photo)

Few days after the scabs came off, aprox 21 days, from the transplanted area it started to itch as i use minoxidil twice daily. Unconciously, i have scratched the transplanted area a few times with my nails because of the irritation caused by the skin flakes. Hairs did come off when i used nails but they come off even if i rub the area gently with finger tips. I have also been informed that few days after HT it is normal to shed hairs. But will there be regrowth issues due to the use of nails?

If you have itching and scratched your scalp three weeks after surgery it is unlikely you damaged grafts.

If you have itching and scratched your scalp three weeks after surgery it is unlikely you damaged grafts.   If you are concerned follow up with your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scratching after a hair transplant

Itching is a side effect of minoxidil and therefore you might consider stopping it. This may solve your itching problem

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon