Could someone explain liposuction to me, and would it help me in my case? (Photo)

I'm 20 years old, 5'4, in between petite and medium build, & weighs 126 lbs currently (I fluctuate between 115-130 due to diet habits). I have a 36in shoulder, 36in bust, 28in waist, & 38in hips on an empty stomach. My shoulders and hips line up nicely I think. I want an hourglass shape. To get this I need a 26in waist atleast w/ current measurements. I mainly care for overall silhouette. Will liposuction give me this result? I have a pinch-able amount of extra fat on tummy/waist area.

Would liposuction help you?

Far more important than deciding if liposuction or a BBL is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a liposuction. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Liposuction explained...

Liposuction is one of the most common, as well one of the most commonly misunderstood cosmetic procedures performed by plastic surgeons. Liposuction, or suction assisted lipectomy (SAL) as it is also known, allows a surgeon to contour a patient’s shape and address those areas resistant to diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss procedure and is best performed on patients who are at or near their target weight. Common target areas include:

·      Abdomen/Flanks (“love handles”)

·      Hips/Thighs/Legs

·      Upper arms

·      Back

·      Buttocks

Traditional liposuction or SAL (Suction Assisted Lipoplasty) is typically performed under sedation/general anesthesia. The procedure involves the use of a hollow metal tube called a cannula, which is inserted via series of small incisions. These cannulas are first used deliver a combination of local anesthetic and vasoconstrictor (to minimize bleeding). Once anesthetized, the cannula is used to disrupt the fat cells for subsequent aspiration. This technique can be augmented through the use of ultrasound or power (vibration), or laser (heat/thermal) facilitating fat aspiration. These are employed at the surgeon’s discretion. Remember "it's the driver...not the car."

Once either procedure has been completed, the patient will be given a special compression garment to reduce swelling. On average, patients are able to recover from less extensive procedures within two to four days, but they will be advised to avoid rigorous activity for at least week. The recovery period for traditional liposuction is typically one to two weeks. Patients are typically cautioned to avoid strenuous exercise for 4-6 weeks post op.

To determine which technique is right for you, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Most importantly, the success of your surgery will not be dependent on the technology employed, but rather the experience of the surgeon performing the procedure.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for hourglass shape?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Based on your photos, you should have nice improvement with liposuction.
  • It will remove the excess fat.
  • The distance between your hips and ribs has an effect as well -
  • Women with more distance may get more dramatic results.
  • Have your plastic surgeon show you where liposuction will remove the fat and your likely result.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction for waist reduction

Liposuction is ideal for waist reduction when diet and exercise fail.
It is important to examine the person and see how much fat there is in the area of concern as well as the relationship of hip bones and ribs. This can be done but physical examination. If the examination favours the possibility of hourglass shape, then liposuction has good chances of success. 
As always, I recommend thorough assessment and consultation with experienced doctor prior to proceeding with any treatments.
Best regards and I hope this helps, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

What liposuction is

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Given the fact that you're in good health and have a stable weight, you seem to be an excellent candidate for liposuction. Because this procedure should not be treated as a shortcut to weight loss, most doctors recommend patients to implement healthy lifestyle changes in order to attain a desired weight prior to liposuction.  That being said, even the most vigorous exercise and healthy diet often fail to eliminate resistant fat deposits.  In such cases, liposuction offers safe and reliable means to addressing these stubborn pockets of fat in the chest area, abdomen, flanks, hips, thighs, upper arms, calves, neck, and chin.  

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice.  Best of luck!  Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Liposuction for Hourglass Figure

Thank you for your inquiry. Liposuction is not a preferred treatment for weight loss. It should only be performed on patients who have a stable body weight. If you are in good health, a non-smoker, and have realistic expectations about the outcome of your procedure, you are an ideal candidate for liposuction.

Besides removing excess fat from your problem areas, liposuction can:

• Enhance your body’s natural contours – with less fat in certain areas, you will be amazed at how incredible you look
  • Improve your overall health – removing stubborn pockets fat from the body can only lead to better wellbeing

Liposculpture would also be an option.

Lipsculpture sometimes known as VASER hi-def liposculpture, is a form of body contouring that dramatically transforms your physique in the most precise manner. This procedure is so precise because it targets only the fat around muscle groups. For example, in areas with a high fat percentage like the abdomen, this focused procedure only targets the specific layers of fat that engulf that region, leaving you with a more sculpted and muscular look.

Always be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for best results. You are always welcome in Montreal! Regards,

Best candidates for liposuction

Best candidates for liposuction are those that are near their ideal weight with good skin quality and pinchable fat.  From your pictures, you seem to be an ideal candidate for liposuction to improve contours.  Liposuction is performed to reduce fat under the skin which leads to tissue contraction and contour improvement.  There are 2 basic techniques for performing this, general anesthesia and tumescent (local) anesthesia.  The most important factor in considering a liposuction surgeon is their experience.  Look for someone who is a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with extensive experience.   It is never a bad idea to get multiple opinions to compare options.  Make sure to have a physical exam and open conversation with your doctor about expectations. Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon