Lip augmention or bullhorn in my case? (photo)

Hello, my philtrum is 2cm. My surgeon wants to do lip augmention with fraxel laser without scars. It will shorten the philtrum by 2-3mm he said. Should I do it or is a bullhorn better in my case? I'm a male 23y old.

Bullhorn lift

Hello, it may be possible to give the illusion of a shorter philtrum through the use of fillers which will enlarge the lips thereby making the philtrum appear shorter in length. I do not believe Fraxel will help to shorten the plitrum and have never heard of it used in this way. I would advise against the use of Fraxel for this case. I'd recommend exploring non-surgical options first such as lip fillers, but a bullhorn lift may provide you with the best results.

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. His suggested procedure will decrease the size of your philtrum while increasing the size of your lips. Another option is to explore fillers so that you can have a temporary lip augmentation and determine how you like the improvements. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmention or bullhorn in my case?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is small compared to your lower. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The upper lip can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Fraxel shorten philtrum - NO

Fraxel will have absolutely no affect on your philtrum. Only surgery can help this and I have seen major scars with that procedure. Enhance the upper lip to give the illusion of a shorter philtrum using HA fillers.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip augmentation

Fraxel will not noticeably shorten the distance. If your goal is to avoid surgery, see and experienced dermatologist injector.  You can create the shortening effect by strategic placement of filler in the vermilion. 

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Lip augmention or bullhorn in my case?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Fraxel will not shorten your philtrum as this is an inherent anatomic length and though a lip lift with a bullhorn incision can shorten the distance between your nose and lip care must be taken so as to avoid a noticeable scar along the lower aspect of your nose.  I would recommend starting with a reversible, non-invasive treatment first and dermal fillers allows for this.  If your results are not sufficient for your goals then pursue more aggressive surgical treatment.  Hope this helps.