Can overuse in first 48 hours cause Juvederm to dissipate?

I had 1cc of Juvederm primarily to my upper lip about four days ago, with a little in my lower. Initially, my upper lip was quite swollen and bumpy, and I continued to massage it to even out the bumps as instructed throughout the first 48 hours. Now that the swelling has gone away, I can still feel the Juvederm in my lower lips, but not at all in my upper, and the visible difference is minimal. Could I have accidentally over-massaged my upper lip and caused the Juvederm to dissipate?

Juvederm is very malleable

I usually advise against my patients massaging any filler except for Sculptra. When I inject, I use continous and smooth pressure to give a smooth result. Then, when I am done, I use a bruise reduction product like Cytoactive gel while I am going over the areas to make sure it is all smooth. Then I have patients ice. A lot of times, patients confuse swelling with lumpiness and over massage will move the product around away from where I want it to be.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Thank you for your excellent question.  With aggressive massaging in the first hours after injection you can thin the juvederm by spreading it into the surrounding tissues but what is more common is that the initial swelling form the filler placement injections has resolved and you had grown used to the swollen appearance in your lips.  This can be corrected but involves placement of additional filler into your upper lip.  Allow your results to mature over 2 weeks and then have a touch-up as needed.  

Juvederm duration

Thank you for your question.I would suggest going back and looking at photos from before you had the injections.  The massage will help to smooth out the product, but it will not cause it to dissolve that quickly. The swelling was probably dramatic at first and now that it is resolving it may not look like a substantial difference to you who sees it everyday.  If you go back and look at old photos, you will see the difference. Juvederm take anywhere from 6-9 months to dissolve completely.  I would wait at least 2 weeks before having any more product injected. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Results

I suggest waiting 2-3 weeks before determining if you are happy with the results or not.  Swelling goes down in the first few weeks.  Best, Dr. Emer

Massage of lips after Juvederm injection

As with any filler, it is possible to spread the Juvederm (or other filler) throughout the neighboring tissues to the point where it is spread thin, and shows less volume effect. It is still there, just spread out. You may want to follow-up with your doctor so that he/she may take a look and see if you need a little more there. Many differing opinions out there, but I usually don't have my patients massage for this reason. After the injection, I massage just enough to smooth the filler and optimize appearance. 

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon