I had silk filler put into my lips four days ago. I hate it?

I want to deflate the top lip. It doesn't look natural and one side is larger than the other. I had a little put in the bottom lip two days later to try to make it look more proportioned. But the top lip still looks bad! I asked if I can have them deflated and they said they may look lumpy if they do that? Is that true and can you deflate just a little or do you have to get rid of all of it??

Swelling after Silk

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. Swelling is particularly common with Restylane Silk, in my experience. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Silk in Lips

In my practice, I have found that Silk causes marked swelling in some patients (including myself....). It can last for up to a week or more. I would wait until 2 weeks to make any more changes since you have already make additional corrections in the lips since your original treatment. Best wishes.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Lip Augmentation w/ FIller

Hi dawnymarie3,

Being only 4 days after your injection, swelling is completely expected and is in no way telling of your final result.  The swelling is due in part to the physical trauma of the multiple injections that were likely necessary, in addition to the acute histamine release and inflammatory reaction that occurs.  Over the coming 7-10 days the swelling/acute inflammation will decrease and the filler will also begin to absorb water.  You should give it at least 10-14 days before judging the result or considering a change if you can.  The advantage of hyaluronic acid fillers is that they can be dissolved with a substance known as Vitrase.  Unfortunately it is more of an all or none thing, as it is difficult to selectively dissolve certain areas.

Dr. Paquet

Christian Paquet, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Give it a little bit of time

I'm sorry you're going through this. Silk tends to really make people's lips swell up when Injected there. The swelling may last for up to a couple of weeks. The good thing about silk is that it can be dissolved. When dissolving filler it's kind of an all or nothing result, meaning that it's very difficult to only reduce certain areas. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber 

Filler to lips

Hey dawnymarie3- thanks for your question!

If you had your lips injected it tells me that you wanted you lips to be more full than they were. If you were my patient, I would encourage you to wait a couple more days (ideally 2 weeks) to see where we are after the swelling goes down. If it's asymmetric, some massaging by you injector can help.  Then if you still don't like it, we can always dissolve it for you. 

It's all about what you want - if you want it dissolved ASAP then you should be able to have that done as well 

Hope this helps!

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician