More weight loss for tummy tuck (Photo)

I am 5'7 195 , 3 kids and in excellent shape. I run 15 miles a week meet with a trainer weekly. The surgeon I went to see said my stomach muscles were strong but have pulled apart, and felt that I should loose another 20 lbs.Her main concern was people who are heavier have a harder time recovering ... BMI measurements never quite fit me ... is this more of a liability issue or a results issue? I am fine with either one but going forward I would like to hear additional options

I agree - BMI is not reliable

Everyone’s body structure is different, which is why I don’t use BMI as a way to determine if a patient is suitable for surgery. You probably have a larger frame and naturally higher BMI, but still are healthy. It is true that being overweight can make recovery a little more difficult, but it sounds like you are in good shape and are at a stable weight, so this may not be an issue. 

The reason why BMI only tells part of the story is more related to the distribution of fat.  So BMI assumes that the fat is distributed evenly but if some people carry the fat extra abdominally whereby a significant reduction can be achieved through surgery.

Lose more weight before tummy tuck?

The closer to your goal weight you are before having a tummy tuck, the flatter and smoother your results will be relative to your body shape.  If you lose weight after the surgery, you may feel that your results look less ideal due to tissue relaxation.  Therefore, being at your ideal weight will give you the best long term look.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy tuck.

I agree with all the other answers you have received in that it is best to be as close to your goal weight before surgery as possible as it will help with the end result and healing. What most doctors will tell is to lose the weight, but have no idea how to help coach and educate you in that process. With the education and system in place it will help you maintain your results and regain health for life! That is why I earned my Nutrition and Wellness Consultant degree 8 years ago, to help educate and truly change the wellness and physical results of my patient partners. Good luck. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Trust your surgeon

Hello for safe surgery with minimal risk your BMI will need to be below 30 prior to a tummy tuck. Major complications including deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism could occur at your current BMI. 
Be careful 
DrBurnett#realself100

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

More weight loss for tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and your decision to have a tummy tuck.  It is very important to understand that any excess fat beneath the skin will limit the amount of tightening of the tummy that your surgeon can't achieve following a tummy tuck.  In my opinion the importance of losing an additional 20 pounds is to improve the final result of your surgery.  For more on how to decide if you need a tummy tuck please read the following link:

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  The more weight you loose before surgery, the flatter your abdomen will be after surgery.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

What is your long term weight goal?  Usually I suggest that the patient be within ten pounds of their weight lost goal to get the optimal result. Based on your  description of your physical activity, you should do well with a tummy tuck.

Michelle Hardaway, MD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon

More weight loss for tummy tuck

Losing weight will help give you a better figure and reduce your anesthetic risk. Otherwise you may be a good candidate to proceed at this point. Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

More weight loss for tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and pictures.   Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  
As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.   When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.  Best wishes.