Do I have enough volume to ensure a nice shape without implants and only a lift? (photos)

I want to know if I have enough volume to not need implants? I am looking for a nice round shape that an impact gives ,yet I am not interested in being bigger than a D Age 41 Breast fed three children In good shape

Breast lift

Yes, if you do not want to be larger, then a lift alone may be all that you need. Best of luck with your decision to  move forward. I often would use a lollipop type incision for this procedure to minimize scarring.

Implants probably not necessary

It appears that you have proportionately sized breasts that probably wouldn’t make implants necessary. However, it all depends on your goals. If you want larger breasts, then a lift and augmentation would be recommended. If you like the size you are now, then a lift would be sufficient.

Breast Lift Alone

Only you can answer your question. If you are as large as you wish within a non-padded bra and the breast is as full as you wish when pushed lip, then all you need is a lift. If, however, you answered "no" to either question, you need an implant also.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Do I have enough volume to ensure a nice shape without implants

Thank you for your question.  You do appear to have enough volume for a very nice result with a breast lift alone.  The addition of implants can help improve the fullness in the upper pole of your breasts but they are not necessary if this is not a concern.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Candidate for a BL

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? However from your description it would appear that a lollipop type lift would be best for you rather than a periareolar lift like the Benelli procedure. Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for breast lift.  You appear to have adequate volume and should have a nice result.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift with or without implants

Hellothank you for the question and the photos. Yes, you would benefit from a full lift. The question about the implants depends on what your final size goal is. If you like your current size, then no implants are necessary. Just do the lift. A well done lift will give you good shape. it will not be "implant round". If you are hoping for more fullness and size, then an implant would be needed as well. If you are on the fence and can't decide, you can always opt for the lift first and then come back in the future if you wanted to add implants. You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any final decisions. As always, it's best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health conditions you have are managed by your primary care doctor. Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon