How soon can you vacation after a TT, BA/BL and Lipo of the flanks?

I am scheduled to have a TT, BA/BL and Lipo of the flanks on August 14th or 17th, and I am also planning a vacation a month later to St. Thomas. Will it be okay to travel that soon after surgery, as long as everything is normal and I feel up to it? I would lilke to get some opinions before I book my tickets. Please advise.

Mommy Makover

I see absolutely no problem to vacation 1 month after surgery as long as there are no complications.  Also remember that you can not do any major activities for 6 weeks. 

Vacationing After a Mommy Makeover

Most patients are good to #travel 4 weeks after a #MommyMakeover. You should ask your plastic surgeon for specific advice per your procedure. Additionally, I would suggest you wear #TED #hose and also make a point to move about on the aircraft when feasible to prevent DVT.

I think traveling a month after surgery should be ok... but if you have any openings in your wounds, do not submerge in water.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Vacation after surgery

I would suggest waiting a solid 6 weeks after surgey to be on the safe side. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Hello jimcitygirl,
Thank you for your question. Traveling after surgery does vary based on your healing. In my practice I advise patient to wait at least 6 weeks before planning to leave on vacation. It is important that you are healed from your incisions prior to making the decision to travel. You also want to feel comfortable lifting your baggage post surgery. It is very important to remain in close communication with your plastic surgeon prior to booking your tickets. I hope this was helpful, good luck!

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Travel after surgery

Most likely 4 weeks should be enough time before you travel after having these procedures provided everything goes well. You will still have some restrictions at that time however. Usually all restrictions are lifted after 6 weeks unless you have trouble healing for some reason. Certainly discuss this with your plastic surgeon as s/he may have different recommendations for you.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

If all goes according to plan 6 weeks is okay to travel, but it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Vacation one month after tummy tuck, breast lift plus implants, and liposuction is not a good idea.

Sure, it's possible if everything goes EXACTLY perfectly, especially with the breast lift plus implants, where healing can be delayed. Unless vacation is something you do very frequently, and you don't really care about swimming, snorkeling, diving, or sunning on the beach, why risk serious problems away from your surgeon. Plus, your breast and tummy will have extensive areas of numbness that make you a sunburn (or more serious) risk.

If you insist it's OK, or if your surgeon tells you "No sweat," at least buy refundable tickets or get your surgeon to promise in advance s/he will write you a medical excuse to not fly if needed.

Why not wait until you return and then have your surgery? (I know, you want to look great after your surgery, but how great do you think it looks if your wounds break down or you get huge blisters on your numb skin?)

Please wait at least 6 weeks. Surgeons who tell you less time off is still fine are not better surgeons, they are simply willing to allow you to take more risks. Best wishes and have a great vacation whenever you do travel! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Vacation plans

Thank you for your question.  To be safe, I would advise you to wait six weeks following a mommy makeover before traveling out of the country.  You will probably enjoy your vacation much more if you are fully recovered.

I would really try not to schedule to go on any vacations until at least 4-6 weeks post surgery. Especially if you will be submerging in water, which is typically not recommended until approximately 4 weeks post op.
Traveling is fine to do after surgery with the assistance from someone traveling with you that is able to help you lift luggage. Because a tummy tuck is involved, you most likely will have a drain or drains. Depending on the output of the fluid in the drain it is possible to have the drains for up to 2 weeks. As you probably know as well, you will be required to wear a post surgical garment for 6 weeks. I'm not sure what all your vacation entails, but to be able to enjoy a vacation involving water, physical activities and warm weather I would take into consideration doing so when you are 100% released without any restrictions.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD