What is the best type of breast implant?

My wife has seen numerous doctors and received conflicting recommendations. What is truly the most natural-looking and feeling implant? Round silicone? Form stable silicone? Ideal Implant?

It depends on who you ask...

All implants have pros and cons.  The form stable implants are good, but they can rotate which is a problem because they are shaped like a tear-drop.  The "Ideal Implant" is ok, but it can still deflate.  Personally, I prefer round, smooth silicone implants because they are soft, have a low rupture rate, and look very natural on 95% of women.  The other 5% are the tough cases that are VERY thin with almost no breast tissue and likely wouldn't look much different even with a different implant.  

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best implant?

I do not think that there is a perfect implant. There are many excellent choices, and a full discussion based upon your needs would be appropriate.

Best type of breast implant

The best type of breast implant is the one you decide is best. They all have benefits, they all have shortcomings. An in depth conversation with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who takes the time to discuss all your options: saline, silicone, textured, smooth, round, anatomic, profile... will make sure you have selected an implant that will give you the results you desire. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Hi John and thanks for your question. Breast augmentation is all about a healthy conversation between patients and their surgeons. I would recommend finding a plastic surgeon that really listens and tries to understand what your wife's goals are. Often times, the office can have sample implants to help you visualize what the implants look like (anatomic, round) and how they feel (textured, smooth, saline versus silicone). Best of luck! MMT

Marissa Tenenbaum, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Best Implant?

Thank you very much for your question.

As you are experiencing, there really isn't the "best type" of breast implant.  Surgeons pick different implants for different reasons depending on the patient, and the experience of that doctor with that implant.  I may place a form stable shaped implant in somebody, a smooth round in somebody else, and a saline implant in yet another person.  It all depends on the result the patient wants to achieve.

Sometimes there are trade-offs.  Sometimes the most natural looking isn't the most natural feeling, for instance.  You may need to prioritize what's the most important for you.

I would continue to talk with those surgeons, and ask them their opinions about what the other surgeons recommended.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast implant types

Please watch the attached video. It may help to understand what goes into each implant a little bit better.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

• Good questions. 
  • Generally speaking, much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities.
  • I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
  • 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
  • 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
  • I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Best type of Implant

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, there is one implant that excels over another type, each different one is made to enhance or correct a different issue or body type. As far as the most natural looking, silicone does look more natural than saline. There are different shapes and sizes, including form stable, high profile, moderate profile, etc. Those choices are made depending on what your current breasts look like, if you are considered a complex case, what you're looking for as far as end results, and all of these decisions can be made with your surgeon. Best Wishes.

What is the best type of implant?

Each patient has a unique set of goals to achieve with their breast augmentation.  For that reason, multiple types of implants exist. Person to person, there is a different perception of what feel or looks "natural".  Therefore, ii is impossible to recommend one type of implant to all.
      According to surveys, however, the smooth round silicone gel implant remains the most popular.  Part of its popularity centers around the perception that it provides the most natural outcome.  Discuss the options further until you are comfortable with an implant choice.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon