Is tummy tuck, lipo and fat transfer to buttocks- too much to do in one surgery?

I am wanting a full tummy tuck, lipo to sides(flanks), upper dorso roll, inner and outer thighs, knees, upper arms and use the fat for transfer to buttocks. Is this too much to do in one surgery. I am 46 years old and in good health and physically fit.

How much is too much surgery

Hi Mitchellbell, Combination procedures are very common. The problem with combining a tummy tuck with fat transfer to buttocks is that after tummy tuck you will sit and sleep on your back/butt and after fat transfer you shouldn't lay or sit on butt. The amount of surgery you want done would probably require two surgeries during your consultation the best combination of procedures would be determined. Good luck.

Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided details, I suggest you to take iron treatments, because this surgery is commonly performed at once, but in patients that have their hemoglobin levels over 13.0

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Surgical options

This is done commonly but without a physical exam or photos, it is hard to know how much can be done safely. Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a  In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for Tummy tuck + Lipo + Fat transfer to buttocks at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck and BBL

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. These procedures are commonly combined, and although the recovery process might become a little bit more difficult it is not impossible. You need to be prepared to lay down on your sides only or if you get a special doughnut shape pillow, on your back. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures at one time.

Thanks for your inquiry. Multiple procedures could be performed in one setting. In general it is safe to perform surgery that lasts upto 5 hours. Combining tummy tuck with fat transfer could be a bit tricky. In person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon is recommended. Best of luck. 

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck combined with multiple region liposuction and fat transfer

Thank you for your question. I'm glad to hear that you are undergoing surgery and that you're in good health but please remember that there are risks involved with prolonged periods of anesthesia especially when accompanying a tummy tuck. My office guideline is normally to avoid surgery over 2 1/2 hours beyond a tummy tuck to reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis. Tummy tucks are associated with an increase in blood clots believed due to the increased pressure on pelvic veins from tightening the stomach region. There is no right answer but clearly the longer the procedure the greater the risk putting you in jeopardy. The upper back region should probably not be liposuctioned at the time of a tummy tuck due to the risks of impaired skin circulation. Just be sure that your plastic surgeon discusses both safety issues with you and various options so that you don't undergo too long a procedure. Best of luck to you in your decision-making.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck, lipo and fat transfer in one surgery?

Thank you for your question. If you are in good health it is no problem having all these procedures done in one surgery. Most of my patients have these procedures done in one surgery, it is most recommend so you do not have to go through anesthesia again. Staying overnight at the hospital is needed for your safety. I recommend to seek a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss in more detail each procedure. Wish you best of luck, Dr. Ricardo Vega 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, the extent of the procedures, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that, many ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Under normal circumstances, this should not be too problematic, however, it may be advisable to arrange an overnight stay for your safety and comfort.  The amount of fat that is removed and transferred will also have an impact on the length of time the procedure may require. I would discuss the specifics and details with your plastic surgeon to arrive at a more accurate estimate. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. M Kayser MD - St Clair Shores

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon