Rhinoplasty post op 1 week.

I got my cast removed yesterday. I am one week post op today. I know I need to give myself time to heal. I don't hate the way I look but I don't like it either. I like the way my nose looks with the tape on but not so much when the tape off is off. Wasn't crazy about it when the doctor took the cast off but didn't freak out because I know I literally just got my nose broken and rearranged. Minimal changes were done. I like my profile but not my front view. I guess my question is, is this normal?

1 week post op Rhino

Dear J012470, 

I would not worry about how your nose looks now, you are only 1 week out and you have so much healing to do.  The swelling tends to turn the tip of the nose up (patients worry about a permanent "pig nose") but that is just where the swelling tends to settle since it is the most dependent part of the nose. As the swelling improves the tip comes down for a more natural look that patients are happy with. I hope this helps to reassure you!

Rhinoplasty

At one week you are going to be extremely swollen. Best to give it 6 months to a year to settle down.

Rhinoplasty

Your nose will change a lot in the next few weeks.  Hopefully you will like it more and more a swelling resolves.  But you should expect to see the improvement quite dramatically in the next few weeks. 

1 week post op

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon in the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery to see swelling and possibly some asymmetries.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. It is completely normal to feel apprehensive about your new nose seeing as you are not used to it yet. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD