Nose skin too thick for rhinoplasty? (photos)

Went in for a consultation and was told that my surgery would be unsuccessful due to my nose skin being too thick. Attached you will find my photo as well as another photo I pulled off the interent that I would like my nose to look similar to. Thanks in advance for your time !!

Rhinoplasty for patients with thick skin

When patients have thick skin, especially in the tip of the, significant refinement is not possible, so it is important to have realistic expectations.  While some improvement can occur,  it really depends on the entire anatomy of the nose including the skin, cartilage, and bony structure.  For many before and afters  of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

A rhinoplasty can certainly be performed but refinement of the tip structures may be limited if you have very thick skin.

Thick skin Rhinoplasty

There are two components to consider when evaluating a nose. One is the bone-cartilage framework and the other is the skin and soft tissue. The skin is the determining factor for how much refinement and definition that can be obtained. This means that a successful rhinoplasty can be performed to create an improved and more aesthetic nose, but you must have a realistic expectation of what can be accomplished. Please consult with an experienced expert in rhinoplasty and discuss how your desires compare with your options. Talk to more than one or to surgeons. Look at their results and feel comfortable with the doctor you select. Best of luck.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty on the patients with thick nose skin

Thickness of the nose skin adds to the complexity of rhinoplasty. Those of us who have been doing rhinoplasty for a long time have found ways to great around this adversity mostly. If you visit my website you are going to find at least one patient with significantly thick nose skin. You will see that, while it may not look perfect, his nose has improved significantly. Expectation of a perfect outcome may not be realistic with the type of skin that you have.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD