What is my Neograft Progress?

Hello, I am exactly 8 months post neograft surgery day and have a question that I can't find a good answer for. I hear "premier hair growth is at 9-14months for neograft," so, being at the eight month mark, does this mean all the implanted hairs that are going to grow on my head are already there and that those hairs will just get thicker as next few months pass approaching a year, OR will MORE (NEW) hairs that are not seen yet come out and fill the area up more in next few months? Thank you!

How did it turn out?

It appears as though you're now 18 months from surgery.  You now have the full result from your surgery.  Did all the hairs grow in?

Kind Regards,
K. Anderson, MD

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft Hair Transplant Results take....

After performing 6 years of Neograft I have seen many different time responses as far as Transplanted Hair initial growth. In general younger guys will grow quicker than older patients. Some areas of the scalp may demonstrate quicker recovery than other areas. For example quicker growth anterior than posterior areas like the crown. Also there are patients considered "quick responders" and others "slow responders". These 2 groups are in the extreme  10% of the Bell shaped curve. Most which are 80% demonstrate initial growth at 3-4 months with almost complete recovery at 12 months. Patients that utilize Low Level Laser Technology starting 10-14 days after the Transplant also show to speed it up by roughly 4-8 weeks. Finally, several factors like smoking, malnutrition, excessive alcohol intake and low grade anemia may also have a toll on the quickness of regrowth.

Eric Adler, MD
San Juan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair growth after transplant

Each hair goes through its intrinsic growth cycle.  Depending on where they are in the cycle that's when they start to come in.  They do not all come in sat same time period.  They start to growin after three months and may take up to 18 months for full growth. From our experience, usually around the nine month period there is about 60 to 70 percent growth, and you can expect more to come in. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft progress

Most likely you will see additional hairs grow; sometimes you can feel little "stubble" of hairs that will likely grow.  Be patient; we have see additional new hair growth even beyond 12 months!!

6 to12 months

In general transplanted hairs start growing after 6 to 12 months.  If you believe your surgery results are progressing as expected, then you should make an appointment with your doctor for a follow up exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Progress Report

The best part is that as I am answering this question, you already know the result. So actually I am curious to hear what the end result did turn out like for you. Typically, you will still see some new hairs coming in up to around the 9 month mark and then they will grow and thicken up from there. Hope this helps and that you ended up with a great result.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair growth following FUE surgery

Many of the grafts should be coming in by 8 months, but you should expect to see more growth over the next several months as long as the procedure was performed appropriately and the grafts handled properly.  Good luck.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Process Guide from Extraction to Recovery

NeoGraft FUE Hair Restoration is the new age of hair transplant. This revolutionary system avoids large, visible incisions and instead provides for nearly imperceptible scarring, minimal downtime and a speedy recovery. NeoGraft FEU is the least invasive procedure of its kind with no sutures, no scalpel incisions, and no linear scars.

FUE is an acronym for follicular unit extraction, meaning that individual follicles of hair are removed from the donor site to be transplanted in the areas of thinning hair. NeoGraft technology uses pneumatic pressure to extract individual hair follicles, protecting the delicate transplants, which yields a better total result. Strip surgery and other methods require more manual manipulation of the follicles which can damage them, impacting the final result.

The donor hair is removed from the back and sides of the scalp. Each graft is extracted with a needle and vacuum for fast collection. Each graft is collected with the same diameter and length, allowing for better transplantation and improved rate of taking. The extracted follicular units are skillfully separated by size.
The surgeon skillfully creates the recipient sites with the appropriate angle and orientation of your natural hair growth pattern and the desired area to be filled. Then, the extracted follicular units are individually transplanted into the balding areas. The process usually takes 3-8 hours, depending on the extent of hair loss. At most, patients typically feel a little discomfort as local anesthesia is utilized for comfort.

The healing process for FUE hair transplant is relatively fast. You should expect to have swelling and discomfort for the first few days but the pain will gradually subside over the following weeks. The pain is not extreme, but the donor and transplant sites will be sore. There will likely be scabbing at both sites, which should flake off in within 1-2 weeks. The extent of discomfort will partially depend on the amount of hair to be extracted and then transplanted. The more hair that is transplanted, the more discomfort you will likely feel. However, this discomfort is very mild

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Hair Timeline

Most of our patients find hair growth results 3-4 months after the shedding period - a timetable of 3.5-4.5 months considering that the shedding process begins 2-3 weeks after the surgery. While 3.5-4.5 months is typical, the results tend to vary based on a variety of factors including the patient age, patient diligence in recovery, location of donor and transplanted follicles, health of scalp and surgeon experience. I suggest you remain patient and continue to follow your surgeon's recovery guidelines as a 9-14 month period post op should ensure you experience hair growth.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant results

Everyone is different when it comes to the rate of hair growth after a transplantation.  At 8 months, *usually* you should see at least 50% of your transplanted hairs growing.  Naturally, they will be short and even thinner than the native hairs in the region.  After one year *most* of the time you will have over 80% of your transplanted hairs growing.  After their first cycle of growth, they will return thicker.  Younger patients tend to grow hair faster than older patients.  Diet, smoking, nutrition also play minor roles.  PRP can help jump start the growth.  I've had tremendous success getting slow growers to grow.

Tim Neavin, MD