If I don't lose any more weight. Will I still get great results? (photos)

I started my Journey at 265 pounds and had 5 consultations before deciding on my surgeon. Funny thing is the surgeon I chose didn't recommend I lose any weight, but 3 of the other 5 suggested I lose weight with good reason why so I decided to lose on my own. I am now 230 pounds and dont want my legs to be any smaller and I'm losing my butt and arms are staring to sag. I will reach the goal weight I planned for myself with another 15 pounds, but really thinking about not losing anymore.

Weight loss and surgery

High BMI patients have increased risks of complications. You are best to get down to an appropriate weight for your height first.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Congrats on losing the weight! You will have an AMAZING result! The most important thing to decide is what body shape your looking for post-operatively and be sure you and your surgeon are on the same page. Good luck and hope you LOVE your new look!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss prior to Abdominoplasty

Congrats on losing so much weight! You will reap the rewards of being able to have more skin removed and a thinner abdomen after a tummy tuck. My take on weight loss and abdominoplasty is this: It's best if you are at your goal weight BUT - as women, we tend to go up and down about 15 lbs our entire life. A weight loss of around 50 lbs will create loser skin, but losing 15 lbs wont likely change your results. Especially if you don't want your legs to get thinner! You may get your abdominoplasty and like the weight you are overall after that. A tummy tuck doesn't usually remove a large amount of weight - but you LOOK like you lost a ton. Best wishes!

Tummy Tuck and weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss.The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight and have a BMI less than 30. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Obtaining your goals with weight loss and surgery

Thank you for your question, Neisshamomof3.

First of all, congratulations on losing 35 pounds! Losing weight is not an easy thing to do.

The first thing to establish for yourself is your goal weight. Aside from achieving an optimum result from body contouring surgery, the closer your are to your ideal body weight, the healthier you will be overall. Once you've established what your goal weight is, you can continue to work through your plan for a slow, sustainable weight loss regimen that will help you achieve this. Having this type of plan is important because the habits you develop that allow you to lose weight are the same that will help you keep the weight off. I recommend that you maintain a stable body weight for 3 to 6 months before undergoing surgery. 

I recommend not undergoing elective body contouring surgery until your BMI is below 30. This has been shown to decrease your likelihood of experience postoperative complications like developing blood clots or wound healing problems. It will also allow for a true assessment of how much excess skin/fat you have left over that can be addressed surgically. This will allow you to obtain the absolutely best possible outcome after your financial investment and time in recovery.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Joseph Brown, MD
Tampa Physician

BMI for TT

Thank you for your question and photographs.

Eventually, you will be a good candidate for this procedures but for now, I would recommend losing weight until you reach your goal weight and that your BMI is at least 30 or below. If your BMI is higher than 30 then you are considered obese and put yourself at a higher risk of complications occurring and delayed healing and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. When you reach a BMI range of 30 or below, it is best to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have your surgery performed. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgery and weight concerns...

Thank you for the question and pictures.   Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In other words, the closer you are to your long-term stable weight, the better the aesthetic outcome of tummy tuck surgery will likely be.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. Keep in mind, that it is a major operation, associated with a significant physical (and often emotional) recovery period.  Having enough help/support at home for yourself and children will be important  part of the planning process. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.