Should I get liposuction or a tummy tuck? (photo)

I'm a 24 year old mom and I had a baby 9 months ago. I'm around 165 lbs 5'1. I also have excess back fat and love handles. I know that it takes a year for the body to fully return to normal which is why I am undecided.

Should I get liposuction or a tummy tuck?

I think that a tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides and back to sculpt the waist will produce your best result.

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for your question and for sharing an appropriate picture. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure with liposuction for contouring. After pregnancy, the abdominal muscles are often loosened and there is sometimes excess skin. A special kind of tummy tuck that I perform is called a lateral tension abdominoplasty. It brings together the muscles that cannot be repaired with diet and exercise alone. Liposuction alone will not give you your desired results, but when used in combination, can provide excellent contouring. Make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and photo. Your body needs time to bounce back from having a child. Concentrate on losing the weight through diet and exercise first. If you are planning to have more children then you should wait to have a tummy tuck performed. This will repair the muscle laxity and fatty fullness you are experiencing in your abdomen. Liposuction can help with reducing some of the excess fat but you will have more success with a tummy tuck. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon who performs at least 100 of these procedures per year. 

Wish you the best of luck!

Dr. Mentz 

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and liposuction.

• If you plan to have more children, don't have a tummy tuck because a pregnancy will totally undo the tummy tuck result.
  • If you are able to lose some weight, that will help you a lot.
  • As to whether a liposuction is worth doing, give yourself another 3 months and have a consultation.
  • If the issue is stretched skin and muscle, liposuction will not help and will make loose skin looser.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck is the way to go !

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your pictures you are most likely a candidate for a full “tummy tuck” + Lipo. The way we correct the rectus diastasis or “pooch” it's by plicating war sewing the muscles back together into the midline after being displaced laterally after pregnancy.  The corrected the skin laxity that you had I would recommend not pursuing a mini- tummy tuck, as you can imagine keeping the eschar centrally located would not allow you to remove all the skin elasticity that you need for a good result.  Liposuction is not a good idea in your specific case, as this will only worsen the amount of stretched skin, and usually tightening of the muscles underneath is not perform during this procedure.

It is best to discuss your concerns with a bore certify plastic surgeon were he can perform an examination and give you a better idea of the potential outcome while sharing your goals with this surgery.  Using pictures will give us an “idea” of your problem however this not replace a physical examination.  My advice to you is to do your homework, find someone who is board certified, look at before and after pictures, discuss your goals and ask for a scar regimen after your surgery to improve the quality of the scar.

Best of Luck !

Tummy tuck vs lipo

I think that if you are deciding to have more children, then you should wait to have a tummy tuck. Liposuction can decrease the overall fatty subcutaneous layer.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In this regard, I recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

If you are planning more children, you should not have a tummy tuck now. Liposuction of your abdomen, flanks and back would be preferable at your ideal weight.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Tummy tuck and liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, if you are not planning to have additional children, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Waistline contouring liposuction of your flanks and lower back can be performed at the same time.  This can greatly improve your overall shape with a smaller waist.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lipo

Based on your photos you should consider both procedures performed simultaneously. I generally recommend that women not plan on getting pregnant afterwards. Lipo alone will not get rid of your excess skin in the lower abdomen 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon