Do I need a lift? Or just repositioning of implant? (Photos)

I got my breasts augmented 15 1/2 years ago at age 22 now age 37.5. I want to switch my saline under muscle to silicone. Md said I do not need a lift just reposition implant so less upper pole and more lower poll fullness. do you think I need a lift with new implants or just new implants? Don't want to make a wrong decision. Thanks! By the way they are 475 cc

Small lift?

It looks like you might need a small lift, maybe just around the border of the areola. You would have to be seen in person to determine this.

Do I need a lift? Or just repositioning of implant?

There are two correct answers here, but the one that is right for you depends on your goal look. If you want a high, round and more artificial look, that will take a lift. If you want to stay with a natural look you can get a beautiful result following your surgeon's suggestion. My patients lean towards the more natural look, as do I. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Lift is needed

Personally, I disagree with your surgeon. You do need a lift to change the overall footprint of your breast to a higher (and more medial) position on your chest with implant reposition. This can be accomplished without the dreaded (and very visible) vertical incision. A Mini Ultimate Breast Lift using the Horndeski Method can successfully reshape and reposition your breasts using a circumareolar incision. You are welcome to view my gallery to find examples of this technique. Hoping this helps. 

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

A lift or re-positioning of implants?

To answer your question I would want to know whether or not you are overall happy with your size. If you are happy with your size then I might agree with your surgeon that a very slightly larger silicone implant positioned slightly lower (by releasing the scar capsule) would work well. This would result in less upper breast fullness, but still result in a very natural look. If you would like to have more upper breast fullness and larger breasts then a lift may be necessary to achieve the upper breast fullness you desire. A larger implant without a lift might create a bottoming-out appearance over time due to the weight of the implant. Please discuss your concerns again with your Plastic Surgeon. Your surgeon wants to get your surgery done right, and communicating your desires will be important to deciding the best plan of action!

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant exchange

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. Based on the photos, an exchange to silicone is an excellent option for you. I do not believe that you need a lift. The breast still has good shape and forward projecting nipples. 

In the photo with you holding the phone, that breast shows a slight nipple position asymmetry. If you wanted you can have just the implant exchange to silicone and a modified nipple lift just for better nipple position symmetry. 

The procedure typically takes 1 hour to complete under anesthesia and you should factor a week off of work. Exchanges are typically not that painful, and based on the type of work you do, you might be able to return to work sooner. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health conditions you have are managed by your primary care md.

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

A Breast Lift May be Beneficial with Your Implants

The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy. Also, a breast lift may also be achieved with current implants if a patient is satisfied with their current size, type and volume.

Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct height may also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Maybe a lift is better

From your photographs, what I can see is the look of a breast that is fallen off of an implant that is in the correct position. In my opinion, a small vertical lift with replacement of the implant would give a very nice result. Should you just open the bottom of the pocket to allow the implant to fall downward, this will lead to more droopiness of your breast over time. Hope that's helpful. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS