Freckle and mole removal. What are my options? I am of African American descent if that makes a difference. (Photo)

I have several freckles and moles on my face and would like them removed. What are my options as far as removal? I am of African American decent if that makes a difference.

African American skin risks

There are significant risks in removing benign lesions from face in African American skin including permanent mismatched colors, hypo pigmentation, hyper pigmentation and keloids. Discuss with your dermatologist first.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

There are a few options for removal of moles

There are a few options for removal of moles however each option comes with risks, especially in African American skin type. In the second photo it is hard to discern, but the moles appear to be small benign keratoses (see a dermatologist to verify this). These may best be removed with very low energy electrocautery using a small cautery tool. This option has the least risk of scarring and discoloration to the skin, however there is always a risk of hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation in dark skin type. In the first photo on the nose the benign mole appears larger and deeper so the options of removal are by shave removal, punch excision or laser. I do not recommend these options with your dark skin type because there is a much greater risk of a more significant scar that may appear discolored, indented, or with a raised bump. Discuss all options with an experienced, certified dermatologist for more information.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist