How do I correct jowls? (photos)

I've recently begun to develop jowls. I'm quite distressed about this, since I feel I'm too young for this to be a problem. Could my weak chin be a contributing factor? Would adding volume to my cheeks help lift the jowls? Chin implant? Facelift? Neck and jowl lipo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, along with an approximate ballpark cost. I prefer procedures that will last a while, since spending thousands on filler upkeep doesn't seem cost effective in the long run. Thank you!

Correcting weak chin and jowls in a young face

You would be an ideal candidate for a chin implant.  That would reduce the jowl formation you describe, give better definition to your profile, and accentuate the angle between your neck and chin.  I would recommend removing a small amount of fatty tissue below the chin at the same time (it can be done through the same incision), but DO NOT just get liposuction only!  Your chin needs to have more projection with augmentation.  Also, make sure you get examined by a dentist or oral surgeon first to make sure your teeth are properly aligned- underlying jaw problems can sometimes produce the same appearance, and correction is different.  The great news is that the results will last for years, so you won't be spending a lot on repeated filler injections.  In your area, I would recommend Dr. Shan Baker (Livonia)- he is meticulous and well-regarded in our field of facial plastic surgery.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowl options

There are several options that you have to correct your jowls.

FIllers - namely Volume could work well if you are looking for a non-surgical option.

Surgical options including the Advanced Lift with or without a chin implant could also be quite effective.  

I am not the biggest fan of buccal fat reduction as much as I am a fan of using Volume to address the upper portion of your face.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowls, chin and the neck

Hello, your question is a very good one. Essentially, it is difficult to see what is going on just from these photos. I'm not sure how old you are so it is a little more complicated to determine the nature and extent of your concerns. Some of this depends on age, skin laxity, sun exposure and importantly the anatomy of the chin and neck area. Depending on the structure of your chin and jaw and the location and position of your hyoid bone and the neck plus or minus any small fat deposits something as simple as a liposuction and possibly chin implant versus some additional work on the actual muscles of the anterior neck (platysma) are possibilities for correction. A history and physical examination in the office is going to be critical to determine the proper steps.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction, chin implant and fillers

Looking at your photos you may benefit from liposuction and possibly a chin implant to enhance your chin/jawline. You may also benefit from fillers as a temporary solution.

Possible candidate for buccal fat pad reduction.

There is some fullness in the jowl area in an otherwise you fullface. You might be a candidate for trans oral buccal fat pad reduction that can be performed under local anesthesia. The physical examination would be necessary to make that determination.

Early facial changes

• Some women do see early changes - causes vary - genetics, sun exposure, weight loss, illness, etc.
  • Your photos don't show your eyes - but I suspect the cheek tissue has come down a bit.
  • You seem to have a lot of neck skin looseness as well.
  • The photos suggest that the ideal approach is a face and neck lift, chin implant, neck liposuction and fat transfers to the cheeks - done together.
  • A face-to-face exam might suggest a different approach.
  • I have done min-face lifts in Caucasian women of 30 and full face/neck lifts in Caucasian women before 40
  • As research shows, some of the best, most enduring results are from early surgery.
  • Africans and Asian age differently - and need less surgery, much later in life.
  • So it isn't really a matter of age - it is a question of what has changed in your face and the best treatment for you. Best wishes.

Options for improving facial shape

Thank you for sending in your photos. There are several options for improving your facial shape. Some form of chin augmentation would look very good on your profile and improve your neck as a bonus. Of course liposuction of the lower neck could have some benefit as well. You do appear quite young to consider a formal facelift but perhaps in the future it could be an option.

For now consider doing less.  Procedures that will improve your facial shape for the long run are best  as they will serve you well as you age. If you can achieve some improvement with non surgical techniques consider them even if they might cost you a bit more in the long run.

Best of luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options

You have options. You will have a fair amount of improvement with just good liposuction of the neck.jowl area. Of course, you can start to do more as you pointed out, but the "bang for your buck" is pretty good with just the lipo. And, it is long lasting.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Facelift and Cheek Fat Removal

Looking at your pictures, it does not seem that jowls is a problem. The heavy appearance of your lower face  is caused by excess fat that is located inside the cheek (buccal fat pad).  If you are looking to make your lower face appear thinner and more sculpted, I would recommend buccal fat pad removal.  

Jowl liposuction can not remove deep cheek fat and would not be effective in making this area look thinner.  On a side view, excess neck soft tissue becomes quite noticeable.  This should be treated with a neck lift.  So, putting it all together, I would recommend face and neck lift with buccal fat pad removal.  

I would do a chin implant only if you are bothered by the size of your chin, but not to make your jawline look more refined.  I believe, it's better accomplished with other procedures.

Best wishes!
Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

How do I correct jowls?

The only longer l;acting option is a mini FL with SMAS plication. Best to seek IN PERSON consults. Fee range from $5,000...