Can this contribute to my lower back pain? (photo)

I have had 100 pounds weight nehind loss 2 cesarean. I have noticed that my lower back has pain more often.I changed my mattress. I have avoided infections because I have to go extra steps because of the moisture in the flaps. I have worked out but I have been informed I require surgery for the removal of this skin. However, I have been denied insurance assistance.

#massiveweightloss #pannus #insurance

Back pain has many factors. While a tummy tuck may help your back pain, I would not guarantee that having a tummy tuck would improve the pain.

Insurance coverage for removal of a pannus is dependent on your insurance carrier. In my experience back pain is not one of the criteria used for determining medical need.  If covered, insurance is usually looking for rashes, skin breakdown, recurrent infections and limitation of physical activities. Look specifically at the medical policy of your carrier.

Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

Congratulations on your weight loss! Many Plastic Surgeons offer payment plans or work with third party financing companies who can make cosmetic procedures more affordable. It appears that you could benefit from a full Abdominoplasty. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your options.

All the best

Tummy tuck

Based on your photo, you look as if you would benefit from a tummy tuck. And though it will help to reduce your back pain, it is not something that is covered by insurance. It's considered a cosmetic procedure. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Extra skin

You appear to have excess skin and would likely benefit from a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. Most insurance plans don't cover all the work that needs to be done but the results are worth the recovery 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Back Pain & Pannus

Thank you for your question and photos.  You do have a pannus or loose skin and fat after weight loss that can contribute to your lower back pain.  Unfortunately, lower back pain is a multi-factorial issue in a young healthy patient, so most insurance companies would not cover a tummy tuck to address back pain.  I would recommend continued diet and exercise and possible physical therapy to improve your back symptoms.  A panniculectomy or tummy tuck would help both funtionally and aesthetically should you decide to move forward. Best wishes.

Low back pain

This may or may not be the source of your low back pain.  There are definitely more common sources of low back than this.  Many insurances will not pay for panniculectomies so you will have to talk to yours. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon