What does it mean for my areola skin to come off and have yellow crust on the wound? (Photo)

I just had surgery two weeks ago and some change and the skin around my areola came off so now the area is pink and I'm dark skin African American and now I've developed a yellow crust or line in the wound and I was wondering if my areola skin will ever be the same color again and do I have a infection?

DepigmentationAfter breast surgery implies second degree injury to the skin but almost always returns to normal.

Surgery around the areola is traumatic and sometimes creates deep enough injury to affect the melanocytes in the superficial dermis. This can cause depigmentation but usually will return completely with time.

Depigmentation

From the surgical process, your skin was traumatized and lost some of the pigments.  This will improve over time.
Best Wishes,
nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Skin discoloration

your skin is going through epidermolysis. This will get better as time passes and the color will more closely resemble natural color in a few months. This happens after breast surgery 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Understanding post-op changes involving the areola

From your photograph, it appears that the blood supply to the areola became significantly reduced during the procedure. When the areola, or any other area of skin, is stressed in this way it often peels. Your pigmentation will improve slowly and gradually over a period of several months.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon