Is Lipo under local anesthesia risky?

I am thinking about having lipo under local and Im kind of worried that I will get Fat Embolism.. Its not much fat I need removed but whatever fat is removed I will want it transferred to my hips...I need advice .. I have hypothyroid and worried if this can put me at risk

Is Lipo under local anesthesia risky?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I will recommend you to have epidural block with sedation, but local anesthesia is not safe for me to perform that type of procedure. The patient can feel pain when the anesthesia passes.. and beeing awake on surgery is not good.

Liposuction Risks?

Liposuction is a very safe procedure. It can be performed safely under either local anesthesia, local with light sedation or genial anesthesia. The choice is ultimately dependent upon the number of areas to be addressed and the amount of work to be done. Keeping a patient comfortable when addressing multiple areas (as is typical with fat transfer) can be difficult with local anesthesia alone. However, local anesthesia is an excellent option with limited volume liposuction.

Fat embolism is exceedingly rare in the setting of liposuction alone. With the rise of fat transfer and the "BBL," the phenomenon of fat embolus has risen to the forefront. Fat emboli technically refers to a situation in which adipose/fat tissue (which is normally extravascular or outside of the vascular/vessel space) is introduced into the intra-vascular space. This emboli can then travel within the vessel downstream causing an occlusion. This is a very serious complication which requires immediate medical attention. 

The risk of fat embolus is very, very low for liposuction alone, however, the risk is higher in the setting of fat transfer (in which fat is re-injected into an area rich with large vessels). Special care must be taken to ensure that there is no inadvertent intra-vascular injection. Some techniques include aspiration before injection, use of blunt cannulas for transfer and avoiding intra-muscular injection (lower incidence of vessel cannulation).

As always, discuss your concerns with aboard certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Safety of liposuction under local anesthesia

Thanks for your inquiry.  Frankly the risks of small area of liposuction in most areas of the body under local or general anesthesia is the same as far as the procedure itself is concerned.  If you are selecting a board certified plastic surgeon, he or she should know how much local anesthesia and epinephrine can be placed under your skin to safely perform the procedure. 

Is Lipo under local anesthesia risky

Thank you for your question.  Liposuction can be performed under local anesthesia.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.  

Lipo under local anesthesia with fat grafts? Safety?

Limited liposuction (volume wise) under local anesthesia is quite safe as long as certain volume and injection limits are respected. I choose to have an anesthetist provide sedation or general anesthesia when I am operating on multiple areas or possibly in your case when fat harvest requires greater volume removal (for harvest) and proper anesthesia of multiple areas.  Remember that a small amount of fat harvested will only produce mild results in your hips.  If that's all that's needed then you should be fine.  Discuss with your specialist and good luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Liposuction and hip grafts - under local?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and fat transfers.

• Liposuction can be very risky if done by a doctor without surgical training.
  • So first check the qualifications of your doctor - s/he should be a trained surgeon with hospital privileges.
  • Fat embolism is very very rare with liposuction - but is well known to be a risk of fat injections.
  • Again, your surgery should be done by a qualified surgeon who knows how to reduce the risks - and to give you an honest prediction of the outcome of fat transfers....they can be quite disappointing.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Is Lipo under local anesthesia risky?

Thank you for your question. Liposuction can be safely done under local anesthesia. In my practice 90% of liposuction done under local anesthesia. The recovery is easy and effective and safe.

Liposuction Under Local

Thank you for your question. Liposuction under local anesthesia is not impossible however, most patients chose to go under general anesthesia depending on their pain tolerance as well as how many anatomical sections will be done. The Surgeon will inject you with local anesthetic as well as tumescent solution which will also numb the areas under liposuction. If you would prefer to be awake there is another anesthesia option and that is IV sedation where you receive medication through an IV line and you remain conscious in a relaxed condition or in most cases the patient sleeps through the entire procedure. Hope this information was useful. Best of luck on your search.  

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Liposuction and local anesthesia

Depending on the individual's tolerance, liposuction can be very safely and comfortably performed under local anesthesia, along with a small fat grafting. Individuals with medical conditions that are well-controlled are good candidates as per  their recent medical evaluation.

As for fat embolism, it is extremely rare and not more likely with local or general anesthesia. It's best to consult an experienced, board certified Plastic surgeon to provide an evaluation to determine if you are a good candidate to undergo liposuction and fat grafting. Risks and benefits will be reviewed as well as the most suitable form of anesthesia for your situation.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction under local

I can understand your concern about complications.  As with any surgery there are risks.  For this reason, it is very important to have your surgery performed by a qualified and experienced surgeon, so those risks are minimized.  Publications have shown liposuction under local anesthetic to be safe.  I am a board certified plastic surgeon and have performed many cases under local anesthetic.  You are not at any increased risk of fat embolism using that technique.

If you are going to have fat removed from your body with liposuction, putting it in an area where you may need fat to create a better shape is a great idea.

Having hypothyroidism should not put you at any increased risk as well.  I do not have your full medical history, but as long as you are being properly treated for the hypothyroidism and you don't have any other significant medical problems, you should be fine.  Again, it's important that you see a qualified board-certified surgeon who can do a proper evaluation and talk to you about the details of your surgery including the risks and potential complications of the procedure as well as help alleviate some of the normal anxiety any patient can have prior to a procedure.

I hope this helps you!  Dr. Jaime Bastidas

Jaime Bastidas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon