Should I wait to get a consult for body contouring for rough idea of price until I'm closer to my goal? (Photo)

I've lost 125 pounds from lifestyle changes and plan to lose another 30 to 50 lbs or to the point where I cannot break plateau after that. I know my insurance will not cover any costs of surgery. I would like to get a rough idea of potential costs to address loose skin issues so I can plan ahead financially and set aside money towards surgery over time. Should I go ahead with the scheduled consultation on Sept 15th or would it be wasting the surgeons time at this point in my weight loss?

Post massive weight loss body contouring

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. It is not too soon. This way you will get an idea of what should be done and further encourage you to lose more weight. Depending on how many procedures you get the costs will range,from $15,000 to $30,000. That also varies from part of the country and Dr. to Dr. Peter Fisher M.D 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Massive weight loss consultation

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on you successful weight loss journey! I often have patients come in for a consultation prior to reaching their ideal weight so that we can put together a plan, and often this step is very motivating for the patient to keep going on their journey. It would not be a waste of time to get to know your surgeon and create a comfortable atmosphere for yourself, in asking all your questions and connecting with your surgeon. Good luck!

Tamy M. Faierman, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Timing of consultation post weight loss

Congratulation on your weight loss! That is an incredible accomplishment.  A consultation at this time can give you an idea of what your surgeon will recommend for you and also give you a general idea of fees.  The consultation process can be very motivating.  Many of our patients feel inspired to continue with their weight loss after this appointment.  Of course depending on how much additional weight you lose things could change slightly.  You could return to your surgeon for a second consultation as you get closer to your ideal weight.

David Stoker, MD

Timing of consult

Thank you for your question and photo.  Congratulations on your successful weight loss.  I do not think it would be a waste of time at this point.  An in-person exam will give your surgeon an idea of what procedures are needed and then you can get price quotes so you can plan ahead financially.  Good luck.  

Still Losing Weight, When Should I See Plastic Surgeon about Body Contouring?

• Fabulous job on losing all that weight!
  • It is not too early to see a plastic surgeon to be evaluated for body contouring procedures that you may desire as a result of your weight loss. 
  • At your consultation you should find out a lot about the procedures including:  descriptions of the operations, a discussion about possible complications, what is involved with recovery, and the cost for each procedure.  Additionally, it's always nice to see some before and after photos to get an idea about what you might expect for results. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Planning surgery after major weight loss

Thank you for asking about your body lifting.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss - that is a marvelous achievement.
  • I think you are wise to have the consultation now -
  • First, you can decide if this is the right surgeon for you -
  • Second you can get a reasonable idea of the cost 
  • Once you are at your final weight, you can return for an update to make final plans.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Should I wait to get a consult for body contouring for rough idea of price until I'm closer to my goal?

Thank you for your question. Ideally you should wait till you attain your ideal weight and consult a board certified PS for evaluation and accurate quote