How long will edema last under the eye after the filler has been removed?

I had two rounds of Vitrase to remove Voluma under the eye and I still have a bag under both eyes, the right one larger. If this is edema or inflammation, how long does it last?

Edema Under the Eyes from Voluma injections

I love Voluma for the mid face but don't inject it under the eyes.  If you are still swollen I would definitely return to your treating physician since you may need more Vitrase injected.  Next time you should consider Restylane or Belotero to the delicate area under the eyes.  Best, Dr. Green

Under Eye Edema

I'm so sorry you had to reverse your Voluma!  I would wait a full two weeks after your Vitrase injections to be able to evaluate your final result.  After two weeks, if you still continue to have volume, I would suggest following back up with your injector.  You may need further Vitrase injections to dissolve more of the Voluma.  Best of luck to you!!

Under Eye Fillers -- Use Cannulas, Small Needle Injections, and Go Conservative; Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Any filler under the eye can cause edema. Actually voluma should do it the least as its not hydrophilic (water holding) like others.  With that said you need hyaluronidase to reverse and need radiofrequency like Venus Legacy to reverse the swelling/lymphedema with oral diuretics.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Dissolving Voluma under eyes

Voluma under the eyes can be dissolved with vitrase or hyaluronidase. This can require multiple treatments before all of the product is dissolved.  Once the product is completely dissolved, the resolution of the edema should be relatively quick. I would expect full resolution by 10-14 days.  If persistent, then there may still be some  filler present or it is possible that a biofilm has developed.  If that is the case then antibiotics and additional dissolving agent should help the situation resolve. 
best regards. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon