Lost 120 lbs & want arm lift/brachioplasty. Will my scars be white and thick? (Photo)

Lost 120 lbs been maintaining for a year now and want an arm lift / brachioplasty curiouse if my scars will be white and thick like those under my breast from my breast reduction and placement of scar , all my scars I have are white and barely noticeable on my body , looking for an experienced PS with good outcomes in my area or Boston

Lost 120 lbs & want arm lift/brachioplasty. Will my scars be white and thick?

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Scars can vary not only from person to person but from one part of the body to another.  Brachioplasty scars have a lot of variability.  I find that the majority of the scar usually heals well.  When there is thickening or widening of the scar, it's usually near the armpit or down by the elbow.  These are areas where there is more pulling on the skin with motion.  We try to play the scar on the inside of the are so that they are not visible when your arms are down on the sides of your body.

Brachioplasty Scars

Arm lift scars can be unpredictable and vary quite a bit from one patient to another. Different parts of the body can heal and scar differently so just because the scars on your breasts healed and faded nicely that does not mean that your arm lift scars will do the same. One way in which you might get comfortable with the scars you would have is to think of them as a trade off. On the one hand you may develop some thicker and heavier scars but they would probably still look better than all of the excess skin and fat. Also, although the thicker scars might be noticeable from 20 feet away, the excess skin and fat may be noticeable from 20-50 yards away.

Arm lift after weight loss - what will scars look like?

Thank you for your question about your arm lift.

• Congratulations on losing weight and keeping it off - great achievement.
  • Your photos are helpful - you definitely need an arm lift and will probably be pleased, thick scars or not.
  • But people who get good scars in one area, like the breast crease (which can heal with awful scars), tend to heal well in general.
  • I would expect you to heal with very nice scars - although all scars tend to be thick and red for at least 6 months.
  • Go to the web site of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to find ones specializing in cosmetic surgery who are near your preferred destinations!
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Scarring can vary from person to person however, typically brachioplasty scars are more prominent than breast scars. In addition, due to the location of the scars, they are quite apparent even when wearing a T-shirt. Upon consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, your physician can further discuss location of these scars. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Lost 120lbs, want brachioplasty

Thank you for the question and the pictures.   You appear to be an
excellent candidate for brachioplasty surgery.    I would expect you to get an excellent correction and I think your scars from the surgery will be a very exceptable trade off.   Best of luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Arm scars are hard to predict

Brachioplasty scars are usually worse than breast scars.  However trade off is worth it. Find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery in your area. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Arm lift scar

Great question.  The width and appearance of your scar will depend on how the arm lift is done and how much tension is placed on the arm
lift incision.  Using a scar treatment product like Embrace will also help.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Congratulations on your weight loss. The photos demonstrate excess skin and fat of the arms which would be treated well by brachioplasty. I use the incisions which are designed to lie on the back of the arms where they are imperceptible and not along the inner aspect of the arms where they can be easily seen. See a very experienced surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Arm scars

Congratulations on your weight loss and body transformation!  The truth is that we don't totally understand scarring.  We know that suture technique matters, tension matters, and inflammation matters.  We know that personal genetics and race genetics can affect the incidence of hypertrophic and keloid scarring.  But we also know that body site can influence healing and scarring, and as my colleague mentioned, arm incisions are at greater risk for the development of suboptimal scars.  Discuss with your surgeon their plan for incision and scar management, as well as their policy for revision, should the need arise.  Best of luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Concern about possible brachioplasty scar

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a brachioplasty provided that your weight is stable and you're not a smoker.  Scars on the arms are notorious for having a higher risk for being wide.  This is because of the movement of the extremity causing tension on the scar, resulting in spreading of the scar.  In my practice, patients are advised to restrict the movement of their arms and to wear compression garments for the first couple of weeks.  Genetics, nutrition and surgical technique are other factors affecting the scar.  Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS