Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for Facial Birthmark?

I have a birthmark on my face that looks like a fairly large pimple, that is the same color as my skin. I want to get it removed, do I go to a Dermatologist or a Plastic surgeon?

Doctor Answers 2

Plastic surgeon or dermatologist?.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Either a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon could help you with your problem.  If it becomes more surgical I would recommend a plastic surgeon.  Of course, if not a bad thing to go to both dermatologist and a plastic surgeon to make sure the diagnoses agree with one another.

Removing a birthmark - finding the best surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should seek a consultation for excision of the lesion with layered closure under minimal tension.  This will yield the most cosmetically positive result.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.