Nipples swelling and sensation. (photos)

Hi I'm 11 days post op. My breast do not seem swollen but my nipples are. My nurse said there is alot of fluid on my nipples which is why they are swollen. Will this be why they still have no feeling? I literally feel nothing when I touch them. They will be soft and go hard when I touch and that's it. How long on average can it take for feeling to come back? Is there a cut off point of if u don't feel them by s time it will never come back?

Too early to judge outcome

After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work.  At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique.  We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month.  The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity.  At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio.  At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity.  Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.
At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome.  It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant.  It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look.  Be patient.

Nipple Sensation after Breast Augmentation

Good morning and thank you for your inquiry. You should know that after a breast augmentation it is very common to have changes of sensitivity on your nipples and this depends of multiple factors as the type of incision. For example, in a periareolar incision IT can be more compromised than a Inframammary incision, this usually comes back in a few weeks, but it can return different as Hypo or Hypersensitivity, I recommend you to discuss about all your doubts with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Nipple Concerns

Nipple swelling and sensation loss for the nipple area is common post op. Typically, most swelling resolves by about 2 weeks post op and sensation will gradually return when pressure is relieved. It can take 6 months or more for nerves to repair but sensation usually returns. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon a bout any ongoing concerns.
All the best

Nipple Sensation After Surgery

Great Question! Many women have this problem after surgery, either just a breast augmentation or a full lift. Your swelling around your nipples should get better every day. 11 days post op- you look great. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to get your feeling back, sometimes a few months. Most patients do get 100% of their feeling back. Be patient- it will come. Most of the time women have one breast get feeling back before the other- this is normal too. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Sensitivity after surgery

Changes in nipple sensation is a very common problem that is likely temporary.  Right now you are experiencing hypo-sensitivity.  When the swelling goes down and as things are healing, you may actually experience hypersensitivity before returning to normal.  The good news is that is all but a few rare cases, sensitivity of the nipples return to normal.  It is part of the healing process.

Nipple sensitivity following breast augmentation

Great question!  Sensitivity; whether it be hyper, hypo, or even numbness of the nipples is actually extremely common with breast augmentation and is a result of stretching and/or small injury to some of the nerves along the chest wall leading to the nipple/areola complex. This will most certainly get better and resolve with some time.  My patients find some relief by applying a gauze pad or nipple cover over the area to minimize friction from rubbing against their sports bras and/or clothing. Hope this helps! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitive nipples after breast augmentation.

The entire breast will be inflamed after breast augmentation. This can lead to hypersensitivity of the nipple for several weeks.