Where do I start with uplift and implants?

I have wanted implants since I was 18, I am now 30 & after having 2 children I have decided it is time! I saw a surgeon 5 years ago who said I would need an uplift as well, I wasn't in the position to go ahead at the time...but now I am ready. I'm looking for help/advice/recommendations please. Where do I start in finding the right surgeon, size, profile, under/over??? Any help will be much appreciated!

Basic Info in Intended Results for Breast Lift w/ Implants

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy. This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. 

A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Implants and No Lift: This is usually a mistake. Most breasts will look larger and droopier.  They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight.  The shape will usually not be satisfactory. There will sometimes be a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble.

If the nipples are in a fairly high position on the breast or “glandular” ptosis or drooping, an implant may be useful.

The best thing to do is to evaluate the final results that you desire and take all of your questions about the procedure that would be correct for you into consultation with a local board certified plastic surgeon. There is no reason to jump into a procedure until you feel confident about the surgeon with whom you will be working.

Photos for better advices

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Basically, patients should look at the overall "quality" of the outcomes achieved;  in other words, it will be important that patients see lots of examples of outcomes that they would be pleased with.  In doing so patients will be able to get an idea of each  plastic surgeon's "aesthetic sensibilities".  

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery.

Remember, that during breast lifting surgery, some skin is removed, thereby limiting the "space" available for breast implants. On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

1st Step for Breast Lift & Augmentation

There are many physicians doing breast augmentations and also quite a few doing breast lifts who have very little training in either. Many have very slick web sites where it is hard to discern their real credentials. Therefore, your first step is to look on the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery web site (Surgery.org) to find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon near you. Then, pick 1 or 2 who seem to have results like you desire and go for a consultation to see how you relate to him or her. If they are truly good, they will help you pick the size, profile and position so you do not have to even think about these, only what your goals are and what you would like to accomplish.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

My suggestion is that you start by researching local ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons with good reputations.  Be cautious of doctors with "slick" marketing teams and instead look for a surgeon who earns your trust and confidence.  Review photos of other patients with the surgeon and discuss your options and choices carefully.  Most doctors will perform the uplift and augmentation under one anesthesia, but others prefer separating the procedures to reduce the risk of complications that would require revision.  Having photos of patients whose uplift/aug results you like to show proportioning and contouring to your surgeon is also a good idea.  Make sure that you are aware of the surgical incision lines necessary for the uplift and the healing course of those incisions as they mature.

Good luck and best wishes for a good outcome.  You will learn more from the video link I've posted above.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lift with implants

The first step is scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. You should find someone with a good reputation that you feel comfortable talking with. 

I have some videos on our website that are very educational and they can provide A very good starting education on breast lift and augmentation under the view procedure and treatments button. 

Jonathan Amspacher, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implant

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.    A breast lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD