Extended brachioplasty wound separation beginning in armpit of right arm. 18 days post op. Thoughts? (Photo)

Just the right armpit has separated, I'm pretty certain it's not infected. I've been using grapeseed and tea tree oil mixture. Just got a prescription for topical ointment yesterday (mupirocin 2%), have started to use it. I bought wound closure adhesive stops but not able to apply in the armpit. Any suggestions?

Brachioplasty wound

This is a VERY COMMON ISSUE WITH BRACHIOPLASTY incisions. You will need some DEBRIDEMENT and subsequent dressing changes prior to a more definitive closure. Please return to your plastic surgeon for follow up care.

Arm Lift/ Brachioplasty/Skin Tightening/ Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedure

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Brachiaplasty wound

Some incision healing issues are common after brachiaplasty. That should be followed closely by your plastic surgeon to ensure the best care and treatment are performed.

Serious wound dehiscence.

Thanks for posting. It looks like a serious wound separation with necrotic tissue. I would suggest you see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation of this wound ASAP. Best, Dr. ALDO 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Arm Lift

Based on the pictures posted, this wound requires immediate care by a plastic surgeon. All necrotic tissue must be debrided and the wound is bigger, deeper than what the pictures are showing. With good care these wounds may take up to three months to heal 

Extended brachioplasty wound separation beginning in armpit of right arm.

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing; unfortunately, these types of superficial separations can occur after arm lifting surgery. However, with good wound care, these areas tend to heal well without detracting from the logng-term outcome of the procedure. It may take a few weeks to do so.  Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be important. Best wishes.

Extended brachioplasty wound separation beginning in armpit of right arm. 18 days post op

Thank you for your question. I recommend you go and see your PS as soon as possible. Mean while please use the mupirocin ointment. You need good local wound care and your PS will guide you. Good luck