I am suffering from a mammogram injury and looking for the best procedure to get me looking like I did prior.

Although very rare. After a mammogram in 2014 my breasts swelled like melons and i was left with saggy breasts that were no longer on my chest but basically on the sides of my body. I have absolutely no side boob. I met with Elite Body Sculpture about doing a fat transfer. Just not sure it is the best procedure for me as there are so many to choose from. I had for my age of 54, 36 D firm breasts situated where they should be. No kids, no up and down weight gain. This has been devastating.

Changes to my breast from a mammogram. What can I do?

Great question!

I would agree with Dr. Folk in that there are several options to help you achieve additional fullness to your lateral breast.  But without seeing photos, it is really hard to give you a comprehensive answer.  My suggestion would be to come in and see us so that we can discuss options that will work for you and that will help you achieve your goals.  

My practice specializes in breast enhancement and we see literally hundreds of patients per year seeking revision.  Would love to work with you!

I hope that helps!

I am sorry to hear of your experience and find it difficult to give you useful advice without a face-to-face examination or at least photographs.  The results from fat grafting are generally not dramatic and since by your description it seems that a more dramatic change is indicated, you might need to consider breast implants and a full uplift surgery.  My best suggestion is that you meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon and member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery experienced in breast surgery to get a good evaluation and appropriate recommendations.

Any photographs that you can bring of yourself before and after your mammogram to document the changes would probably be very helpful if available.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Changes after mammography

Your complaint is one I have heard on 2 occasions. One patient had saline implants, and felt that the mammogram had caused an instant and tremendous change in her appearance. I was fortunate to have photos from years before and months before her last mammogram, and despite her claims there was no change at all in the photos. She too could not see a difference in the photos, but still believed something had happened. The other patient is your contemporary with no previous surgery who refused to get further mammograms because she felt they were responsible for the changes she had experienced in her breasts.

One thing we do know is that breast tissue always changes with age. Younger breasts have a much firmer quality of breast tissue, and larger proportion of breast tissue (as compared to fat) than older breasts. Also, cysts become much more common in the 40's and 50's, and are far less common before and after these decades. This likely has to do with hormonal changes associated with menopause. I have been truly shocked at how extensive the cyst formation can be in some women when doing surgery like a lift or breast reduction. You can feel like you are popping little water balloons that are scattered in the tissue, thus changing the volume and firmness or feel of the breast. 

Older breasts are more fatty in consistency, and if the patient is very thin with a low BMI their breasts tend to be small and more deflated. The average woman gains weight with age, and sees an increase in size proportionately. Larger breasted women tend to get significantly larger with pregnancy and breastfeeding, and when this goes down and the tissue involutes, they tend to stay a larger size because of the increased skin laxity. Smaller breasted women get larger initially and typically feel smaller and more deflated after pregnancy.

You have options from fat transfer, implants, a lift, or some combination based on your goals and your examination. You may also have to accept that your breasts will continue to change even despite surgical intervention.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon