Seeking advice on over-projected nose. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hello, my nose in very over projected and I'd love to bring it into better proportion with the rest of my face. Is it possible to shorten the nostrils and bring the tip closer to my face? Would this typically involve a chin implant as well?

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

From the limited photographs, it appears that there is  an overly projecting nose, and an under projecting chin. A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish reducing the projection of the nose, shaving down the dorsal hump and refining the tip if necessary. Performing a chin implant will help significantly with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projected nose. A chin implant would help significantly with this issue. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, are usually placed at the time of the rhinoplasty procedure under general anesthesia, or can be performed as a standalone procedure under local anesthesia. For more information  and many before-and-after results of this combination, please see the video and link below 

Thank you for your interesting question and photos.  Yes it is quite possible to reduce the projection of your nose.  This is one of the most challenging types of nose because everything from the bony/cartilaginous dorsum, to the different parts of the tip cartilages, to the alar base has to be reduced, while keeping the nasal structures in balance both aesthetically and functionally.  In experienced hands the outcome will be quite satisfactory.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Nose options

A chin implant may not be needed once your bridge and tip are de-projected as this will have an effect by optical illusion of making your chin look slightly more prominent

A full septorhinoplasty by a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon is the best approach for your nose

RHINOPLASTY FOR OVER PROJECTED NOSE

Dear Pebbles79, Rhinoplasty will address reducing the dorsum and de-projecting your tip. Once this is performed I do not think you would be in need of a chin implant. One photograph on the right shows no need for an implant and the one on the left is questionable however this is something that would be discussed at your consultation appointment. During consultation imaging can be performed which will show you the proposed results of the procedure. Once this is done and the desired nose is agreed upon then the exact techniques which will be used to attain your desired result will be discussed at length. See an example of imaging for chin augmentation and rhinoplasty in the video above as well as the final results and rhinoplasty procedures in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Ocer projected nose

HI Pebbles,

I think that the shape of your nose can be improved with a rhinoplasty. It would be best for you to visit a plastic surgeon in your area to determine the exact procedures to accomplish this based on a complete examination of your nose, your desires and your medical history.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Seeking advice on over-projected nose. Any suggestions?

Dear Pebbles

Significantly de-projecting a nose can be challenging. This can be done safely  in a limited way (2 -3 mm)by removing the support mechanisms of the tip. If you wanted a very significant reduction, (greater than 3mm) that would involve an open rhinoplasty approach with more advanced rhinoplasty techniques. From the photographs, you have medium thickness skin, allowing a multitude of cartilage reduction techniques with low risks of it showing. The key is to reduce your size while maintaining long term support.

Look for an experienced and well trained plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (or Facial) see more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty through either a closed or open approach. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.Whether you would have any benefit from a chin implant can be determined at the consultation. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Over projected Nose

You are a great candidate for a rhinoplasty surgery that can address projection and nostril issues.  Please visit a few expert surgeons in your area.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Your nose could use a lot of deprojection. Chin implant? Just maybe.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Mostly, I deprojected your nose. Quite a bit, actually. The nostrils tend to shrink in length as the tip of the nose comes back closer to the face. You'll also see that I reduced the forward strength of your nose way at the top -- just below your eyebrows. If that part of your nose isn't reduced when the tip is deprojected, then your profile will look like that of a Roman statue, with the forehead contour sliding right onto the nose, without a little dip or break in front of the eyes. I hope I explained that well enough.

Perhaps you'll see that your chin looks stronger in the "after" photo, because the nose is less strong. You could have a small-ish chin implant, but only if it still makes sense to you after you see the image with the nose de-projected. I could make another morph if you wish.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph -- specifically, that amount of deprojection -- require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer. You don't want someone to give you just a little bit of deprojection, and then you're looking for a revision, to get the nose back further.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon