Can you just reshape a butt with you own fat? If so how is this done?

Can you just reshape a butt with you own fat? Yes!

You nailed it! The word shape is instrumental to buttock enhancement procedures in that it's not always about size, but rather reshaping.  The procedure you are referring to is called fat grafting or transfer to the region for reshaping the buttocks and surrounding regions.  It’s important to understand that the terms relating to buttock enhancement are not as important as what your specifically tailored plan entails. Often the words Buttock Augmentation, Butt Lift, Brazilian Butt Lift, Buttock Fat Grafting, Buttock Reshaping and so on are used interchangeably. Fat grafting entails taking excess fat from the areas of your body you consider problem areas and transferring it so that it has the best chance of survival.  This will help add shape and volume and make the rest of the body look slimmer! Get a consultation so that you can best understand what will help you achieve a sexier you.

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

Thank you for your question.The popular ‘Brazilian Butt Lift’ procedure is utilizes fat grafting to augment the curves of the gluteal region and accentuate the contour from lower back to buttocks. It is an excellent method for augmenting and lifting the buttocks and provides a beautiful, natural result. The procedure is performed by harvesting fat from unwanted areas of the body with liposuction and injecting it into buttocks. For individuals desiring a BBL but do not have enough fat available to be harvested, gluteal implants may be an excellent option for augmenting and enhancing the contour of the buttocks. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question. During a Brazilian Butt Lift fat is extracted from areas of the body, usually the abdominals or flanks or near the buttocks to accentuate the fullest area of the buttocks. The fat is then processed and re-injected carefully into your buttocks where you request more volume or shape.

Leonard Lu, MD

Reshaping your Buttocks

A Brazilian butt lift, otherwise known as a gluteal augmentation, is a surgical procedure involving fat transfer. A fat transfer occurs when fat that is removed from certain parts of the body and is processed, cleaned, and readied before being re-injected or grafted back onto your buttocks. A butt lift of this nature gives you a firmer, more proportionate posterior while also improving your hip to waist ratio and shape.The fat is removed from your body via tumescent liposuction, which sucks out the fat, or by using cannulas that perform the same function. In order to be a good candidate for a procedure of this nature you need to possess extra weight. This excess weight (fat) is needed in order to be harvested and re-injected into your behind. In some cases patient may need to gain weight before having this procedure done. Consult with a board certified surgeon for full body assessment and best results. Regards, 

Hello klvt1023 - Thanks for your question.  The procedure you are referring to is known as a Brazilian Butt Lift, or BBL.  It is a common procedure performed in my practice.  Patients need an adequate amount of extra fat to be able to perform the procedure.  I perform the procedure by liposuctioning excess fat from the body and injecting it into the buttocks to shape them.  Somewhere around 50-60% of the fat will survive to produce the final results.  For other patients, silicone butt implants are the better option.  I would recommend that you consult with an expert in buttocks enhancement for more information.  Without an exam, it would be hard to tell you much more.  I would be happy to speak with you further about this at my practice in Cherry Creek. Please see my link below to  my video of BBL surgery... Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Reshape butt with fat?

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:  Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). 
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection and long-term results. 
Indeed because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Even those patients that had adequate amounts of fat pre-operatively, still end up seeking buttock implants after a year or so because most of the fat transferred melted away leaving them with minimal result.  Although overall using your own fat is relatively safe, it not infrequently melts away unevenly leaving one butt cheek bigger than the other or with dimpling or hard fat cysts.  The one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within (muscle thickness permitting) the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle or "subfascial". On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure so that the implant placement is precise for both locations. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to

Ryan Stanton, MD