Would you recommend a chin implant and neck lift or just a chin implant? (Photo)

I definitely feel I need a chin implant (removal of the current one to a larger one with side wings). I'm wondering if you'd recommend a neck lift at the same time? I know my neck isn't bad yet (I'm 53) but since I'll be 'under' already (tummy tuck, lipo, chin aug), would you recommend it? Is the neck lift a much longer recovery than the chin? I've heard that a neck lift recovery can be pretty difficult, but I'm wondering if mine may be easier since there is less surgery required.

Would you recommend a chin implant and neck lift or just a chin implant?

Hi, from the photos your chin is weak, there is evidence of loose skin (under the chin) and jowls.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger and the mid face look top heavy.  Chin augmentation, with a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  Excess skin can be removed through and incision, under the chin, used for the chin implantation.  Some of the neck skin excess will be pulled to the side with the minimal imncision facelift that's described below.

If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Would you recommend a chin implant and neck lift or just a chin implant

I would recommend a procedure  tighten the lower face and neck. However, recently published data show's that adding additional procedures with abdominoplasty significantly increases complications.

Abdominoplasty and lipo (trunk?) should be done together and your facial procedures at another time

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Are you a good candidate for a neck lift?

Recommendations to Improve your neck appearance depends on your exam - Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you for four main features:

1.Amount of excess fat (needs lipo or direct removal).
2.Presence of Significant Platysmal Banding (requires playsmaplasy or Botox)
3.Amount of excess Skin and condition of your skin. For example younger age, darker skin colors and no large weight loss history means there will be better elasticity and therefore better post surgical contraction. In milder cases if not too much fat is present there will be enough skin shrinkage with just lipo alone. However for moderate and severe skin redundancy a neck lift or lower facelift is needed with or without lipo for best results. Mild to minimal skin tightening using non surgical means like the Sciton Laser SkinTyte procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage could also be considered.
4. Chin deficiency (without adequate chin support your neckline will suffer)

In your case, on the basis of your limited photos your best result would most likely be with a chin augmentation. This can be performed as an office procedure. 

#necklift @chinimplant

Hello aoep,
Thanks for your question.
If you were my patient, I would recommend chin implant upsizing via a submental incision with repair of the platysma muscle split (diastasis) and skin redraping.  You don't look like you need a traditional neck lift.  I've performed several procedures this exact way on patients with very similar starting anatomy.  It creates a very natural result with a fairly easy recovery.  If you look at my Pinterest page, you will see 2 patients who had this exact procedure.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift will help you more than changing size of chin implant

You need neck lift more than another chin implant.  Do the rght thing for right reasons and not wrong thing for convenience. Tummy tuck and necklift can be done together.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Chin implant and neck lift?

Thank you for your for your pictures. I think that she would benefit nicely from a chin implant. I agree that your neck looks wonderful

Thank you for your question and you would benefit from an extended Necklift but an examination and discussion of risks is needed to determine if all these procedures should be done together

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Chin implant and neck lift with skin removal

The old chin implant can be removed and a larger one placed that has extended wings to help give lateral width  to the chin. The photographs  demonstrate muscle bands in the neck and some loose skin as well. A neck lift with skin removal, tightening the muscle bands, and removal of any  fat in the neck can be performed with a chin implant simultaneously. It is probably best to perform this procedure separately from the other surgery due to the time constraints of anesthesia to prevent complications.

Chin Implant With or Without Neck Lift

A chin/jowl implant will definitely improve your jawline. I would encourage you to have a neck lift at the same time to clean up your well defined anterior neck also your lateral jaw.

You can go either route but the implant replacement and necklift would be the best option. The chin implant will not help with enhancement of the jawline and neckline. It will also not address the banding that you're seeing. In my experience, the necklift recovery is quite similar to the chin implant and with the exception of some potential bruising in the neck area should not prolong your recovery. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon