Am I ready for a facelift? (Photo)

I just turned 53 and within the last year have developed sagging neck and jaw and double the amount of smile/frown lines. I've used Botox and fillers sporadically for about 10 years. I'd like a good opinion of the best treatment for my age. Thanks so much.

Ready for a Facelift?

Speaking from a Surgeon's aesthetic perspective, you have indications for a Facelift.  From a technical standpoint, there is no other procedure that can address the cheeks, jawline, and neck like a Facelift.  The question is whether you feel you are ready.  My personal perspective is that woman in their 50's who are active and healthy tend to "wear it well".  If you are open to the concept, you should do very well with the right Surgeon.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good facelift candidate

I think a facelift is a reasonable option for you. You have signs of excess skin laxity under the neck as well in the lower third of your face giving the "jowl" appearance. Aside from fillers and botox, a surgical necklift can provide a longer lasting, more definitive result. This is by no means a permanent fix, but an alternative that will last years. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready for a facelift? Perth, Australia

Thank you for your question and images. After looking at your photo's I do feel that you are a good candidate for a facelift. Although you maintain some good mid face volume - you lower face, particularly you jaw line, neck and perioral area demonstrate facial ageing.

My philosophy to facial rejuvenation is a staged approach with specific interventions at integral time points.

Wrinkle relaxers and fillers are an important aspect of long term facial rejuvenation and maintenance. A facelift procedure is required when the deep structures have descended and excess face and neck skin cannot be compensated for with fillers or botox. The principle being that you restore the deep structures to their natural position and remove excess skin. This rejuvenates the facial form, turns back the ageing clock and allows you to continue with staged fillers and botox for maintenance. You have clear signs that will benefit from a facelift and you appear to be a good candidate. My advice would be to consider surgical intervention and to seek further consultation with a Specialist Plastic Surgeon to discuss these options. 

Try the HourLift and/or Y-Lift

Face Lifts like the Y-Lift and HourLift can help improve wrinkles, sagging skin, dull features, and lost volume. Though not 100% permanent, these procedures are minimally invasive and will wind back the clock. However, as always, it's important to ask your doctor to see what type of facelift is best for you!

Eric Seiger, DO
Fenton Dermatologist

To Facelift or not to Facelift?

Hello Chad85-
I think people can age gracefully with or without intervention, but if you want to look as youthful as you probably feel, then a very natural, well-done facelift may be in your future. Find a Board certified plastic surgeon who has great looking postop photos and then consult with him/her. A SMAS facelift helps the neck and face tremendously. You are not a good candidate for the so-called liquid facelift. 
Dr. A.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Ready for a Facelift?

Only you can answer this question. When you look in the mirror, what bothers you?  If anything? I can say that judging from the photographs, your neck appears more aged than the rest of your face. If it bothers you, a necklift is the only procedure that will improve it (Botox and fillers will not help so do not waste your money on them). With your face, Botox and filler can help, and a facelift can help as well. But ultimately, every person must decide when surgery is the right approach. If you feel you are ready, please do your research and find a board certified plastic surgeon with an excellent reputation and much experience.

Am I ready for a facelift

When a person begins to develop a long lower eyelid, deflated cheeks, jowls and neck bands than they would benefit from a full face and neck lift.  Anything less will not address the issues and will require future revision. Thank you for your question.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Botox would be helpful

botox will definitely help with the crows feet by your eyes. you will need to do this every 3.5-4.0 months. Think of it as you think of coloring your hair etc.

you may also benefit from some fillers by your eyes.

Your neck will not improve with anything less than a full facelift.

see a board certified PS in your area.
good luck
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift v. Full Facelift

Thank you for your question about liquid facelift.

In my humble opinion, I think that you would be dissatified with anything less than a full face and neck lift.

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have facelift surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

You are a candidate, and you could also consider resurfacing

Great question.  There are some changes that are impossible to change without surgery, but you can also consider getting resurfacing treatmetns to help smooth some lines that are visible in your pictures.

ultimately, only you can decide that you are ready for a facelift.  If you are not too bothered, I would say consider some laser work and delay the facelift a bit longer.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon