Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia happening?

ad 7 doctors to reply to my Question about the fat cell staying in your abdominal after having the coolsculpting procedure don. all say that this do not happen (LIE). why haven't anyone mention about what could happen even if it is a small % chance of Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia happening

Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia

I have seen a photograph of Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia from the only physician that I know who has seen this, and he presented it at a national meeting. It looked very circumscribed and isolated, like a hot dog or small banana shape under the skin exactly where the hand piece was applied. This was easily treated with numbing medicine and a small amount of liposuction.
I also have seen a patient treated elsewhere who thought that she had had the same thing happen because she did not see a measurable change from CoolSculpting, and thought she had gained weight in general following her CoolSculpting. There was no evidence of P.A.H. having occurred, but she admittedly might have gained weight in general. Based on her exam she really should have considered a Tummy Tuck rather than CoolSculpting because of her laxity.
There are possibly many providers who have never heard of this phenomenon. At first I thought it was presented just to scare non-surgeons away from Coolsculpting because they can't treat the problem if it were to arise. Although I don't know why fat can be stimulated rather than injured and absorbed, some researcher will likely (or already has) figured this out. If it does happen, there is a simple and easy solution to fix the problem. By selecting an office for your CoolSculpting that can also do liposuction well, you should be adequately cared for should it happen to you.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

I wish we know who was at risk for this but we don't.  I do let my patients know that if hyperplasia occurs (which it never has), I will perform liposuction on them for free... that is how rare it is.  

Best of luck, Sheila Nazaria

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Paradoxical Hyperplasia After Coolsculpting

I have a patient a day come in for a consult to treat this.  Its more common that people say and I use liposuction, VASER HI DEF to be specific, to get rid of this.  You get a better contour that way.  Best, Dr. Emer.