Is painful lumps in Abdomen after CoolSculping normal?

I had CoolSculpting done on my upper and lower abdomen 18 days ago and I still have three very painful lumps. One runs vertical in the center of my abdomen and feels like an egg, only bigger. The second is a few inches to the right of the center one, near my ribs. And the third is attached to the lower part of my belly button. They are not visible to the eye but are easily palpable. Any idea of what these "lumps" are? Could they be hernias? Is this normal or usual?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Lumps, inflammation and nerve pain can happen for a few weeks after the procedure
If you are concerned, please follow up with your surgeon
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Lumps following CoolSculpting

The lumps you feel are likely indurated, swollen tissue and should resolve soon. You can try massaging the areas or applying a warm compress to help break it up faster. I would also recommend a Motrin, Advil or Aleve type medicine if okay for you to take these medicines We do not have any patients with long-term lumps or bumps following these procedures.  Hope this helps!

Best!

Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure for reducing a bulge in a given area.  Swelling after the abdominal area is a common side effect.  The type of painful lumps that you are describing are not typical and I would return to your treating physician for examination.  Please keep us posted.

Lumps in abdomen

The recovery for CoolSculpting can vary a bit from patient to patient. Some patients do experience some swelling and irregularity post treatment my best advice would be to massage the area regularly and give it time to go through the cryolipolysis process.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

It is still pretty soon after your procedure, and feeling some lumps and contour irregularities can happen.  It usually resolves over the next few months as the tissues settle down.  If they persist past 6 months, I would get them evaluated.  Let your treating doctor know and take a look at the issue next time you see them.

Sofia K. Kirk, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and Bumps and Pain After Coolsculpting

This is common in some people and is due to inflammation and healing.  I suggest velashape or venus legacy treatments to improve the feeling and decrease the swelling quicker.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumps after Coolsculpting

While rare, some inflammation after CS can lead to the feeling of lumps or swelling.  Massage these out and they will go away over time.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Lumps in Abdomen After CoolSculpting

There will be some swelling and induration (firmness) after CoolSculpting treatments. In rare situations this can take 2-4 weeks to resolve. A few times I have seen discrete lumps in specific areas after the treatment. These are probably areas of persisting inflammation. In all cases they have completely resolved with time. You should follow up with your treatment provider so they can examine you in person.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon