Is it normal to have some lumpiness 5 months after a Facelift?

Some Lumps are OK

While I would expect the majority of the healing process to be complete by the 5-month mark, each person heals at a unique rate, and some lumps aren't unheard of at this point. In order to understand what may be responsible for the lumps, it's important for us to know where they're located, what technique your surgeon used, and other similar details. I recommend getting in touch with your surgeon's office to clarify those points and alleviate your concerns.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Lumps Are Fairly Common

Lumpiness in general is fairly common after a facelift, and it may last for months. There are a number of reasons for lumpiness to develop in the neck or face. For example, it could be a swollen gland, scar tissue, a collection of fluid. It could also be something else entirely, which is why it's difficult for me to say that what you personally are experiencing is normal. The best thing to do is to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Marc DuPere, MD

Not Normal, But Not Worrisome

There are a number of factors that could lead to post-surgical lumps, but I would expect this symptom to be resolved 5 months after surgery. However, without more specific information, such as where the lumps are located, how large they are, or the specific technique your surgeon used, I can't offer much information. In general, lumpiness after facelift surgery is not indicative of any serious issue, and it's likely that you'll see additional improvement with time. Please consult the surgeon who performed your facelift to learn more.

Thank you for your question. Lumpiness is common after a facelift. You would benefit from some light massaging of the face as well as an in-person office visit with your board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss further recovery techniques.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Countour Issues after a Facelift

This is a very common issue. Many people still have irregularities at 5 months. these will slowly fade away over time. Obviously everyone wants a perfect result immediately, but the body needs to heal. 

Stay in contact with your surgeon and I am sure things will continue to progress. 

Dr Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness May or May Not Be Normal 5 Months Following a Facelift

It depends on what you mean by lumpiness.  Usually by 5 months most of the obvious swelling has resolved, but it is very common to have some mild residual contour irregularities still related to swelling at 5 months. These usually resolve slowly over the next several months. I would discuss the issue with your surgeon, have him or her take some photos now so that you have something to compare to in another month or 2. Good luck

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness after Facelift

It is possible to have some firm residual scar tissue 5 months after a face lift. Everyone heals a little bit differently. But for the most part lumps are usually gone by then. I would schedule a follow up appointment with my surgeon to see what might be going on. Best of luck.

David Cangello, MD

Follow with your surgeon

Most swelling should be diminishing by this time. 
It still can be seen depending upon the type of surgery.
Its best to see your surgeon for follow up.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after facelift

Lumps after a facelift are not too uncommon, but they usually resolve before 5 months. I'd recommend you discuss this with your surgeon and let them examine you.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps 5 months after facelift

There are plenty of reasons why you might feel some lumps 5 months after a facelift. It could be due to suture knots, scar tissue, residual swelling, small areas of fluid, or fat necrosis. None are dangerous and most will likely to continue to change with time. Because we all use different techniques with a facelift I would recommend that you schedule a follow up with your surgeon so they can describe best what you are feeling.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon