mommy makeover: I am 18 days post op. When should I regain feeling in my tummy. It is very numb. (photo)

Also, one of my breasts is a bit larger than the other. Is it to soon to know when the swelling will subside in my tummy and breasts?

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.The numbness is completely normal and can last several months. You are very early in your recovery and your breasts and tummy need time to heal. . Based on your photos everything looks as it should at this point. If you have any questions or concerns contact your surgeon. Best wishes.

Swelling and Numbness after Tummy Tuck is Normal #tummytuck

• It is expected that you will have some numbness of the skin below your navel for months, and this can last up to one year. 
  • The swelling you have appears normal, and it can take months for all of the swelling to subside completely. 
  • I wouldn't worry too  much about your breast asymmetry at this point.  It can take months before everything evens out. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Healing and Recovery after a Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Post Op Questions

Numbness post-operatively is very normal and can take 6 months to a year for full nerve sensation to return. You may always have some areas that feel different than before surgery.  As far as your breasts being uneven, this is likely due to the amount of swelling a patient experiences within the first few weeks after surgery.  Swelling usually will subside within a few weeks to months. Also, every woman has breasts that are at least slightly asymmetric to start with and these asymmetries often remain after surgery and can sometimes be amplified.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover: I am 18 days post op. When should I regain feeling in my tummy. It is very numb

I typically advise my patients to wait a good 6 months to a year to see their final results. This involves return of sensation as well as complete resolution of ALL swelling! Remember that your final sensation may be slightly different from your preop sensation. Good luck!

Mommy makeover recovery

The numbness that you mentioned will likely take several months to resolve.  You may regain some of the feeling toward the outer part of your abdomen first.  Your breasts are swollen and it is too early in the recovery process to determine asymmetry.  You can expect to better be able to assess your results about 3-6 months after surgery.

Camille Cash, MD