Is it important to do breast mammogram before argumentation?

I was 19 when I had implants doctor told me to get breast mammogram because I have dence breast. If I change my size now I am 26 would I have to get a other mammogram. I heard that mammogram causes censer. Also my left breast is little bigger then the right one. Thank you for reading also my breast is very sensitive.

Recommendations for mammography prior to surgery will vary from one practice to another.

I would suggest you follow the radiologists' recommendation in regard to mammography. Assuming you are  40 years of age or older mammogram prior to surgery will be helpful. If you are younger than 40,  then it may or may not be indicated depending on your specic situation (personal/family history of breast cancer and/or  specific concerns on physical examination).  If in doubt, your primary care and/or Gyn physician's  recommendations will be helpful.  I hope this helps.

No mammogram

I see no reason for you to get a mammogram.  Furthermore, mammograms are very unreliable for women with dense breasts (that why we rarely order them on young women).  If there is concern about your breast tissue based on your family history, then an MRI would be better.  If you have no family history of breast cancer, I wouldn't order anything.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation

Dear sahar89,
Changes in the practice of plastic surgery based on scientific evidence are ever evolving.  Seven years ago more plastic surgeons would probably have obtained a mammogram than today.  Without a specific reason to do so, I would not have you get a new mammogram.  Good luck!

Mammogram before breast augmentation

I am not sure where you heard mammograms cause cancer.  For patient's were high risk for breast cancer, screening with a mammogram prior to breast augmentation is a good idea.  For patient's were not high risk, is not necessary to get a mammogram if they do not yet meet the criteria for mammogram which is usually starting at the age of 40.

Mammogram prior to breast augmentation

Unless there's a suspicious mass, or there is a strong family history of genetic breast cancer, I can't imagine a young person in her 20s needing  a mammogram prior to routine breast surgery. Certainly I would check with your gynecologist or plastic surgeon for their recommendations. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Unless you are high risk for breast cancer or have a lump or mass, there is no need for a mammogram before breast surgery in a young person.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thermography instead of mammograms for breast augmentation

Unless you had a strong family history of breast cancer and/or a lump in your breast at age 19, there was really no need for a mammogram .  Dense breasts in a 19 year old is not a reason to get a mammogram. There is nothing in the medical literature that would support that recommendation.  Radiation can cause cancer so you are wise in asking the question about whether or not you would need another mammogram.  For asymptomatic women without a family history of breast cancer less than 40 years old, a mammogram is not indicated.  If you are concerned about your breasts, you should consider thermography.  Thermography is just a camera that measures hot and cold areas of the breasts (no radiation at all).  Since cancer needs more blood flow due to the rapidly dividing cells, it would show up as a hot spot.  Some reports have demonstrated that thermography can detect cancer years before the lesion is ever detected by mammograms.  I hope this helps!

Thank you for your question.  Depending on your family history of breast cancers and current physical exam it may be wise to have a mammogram, but for most women in their 20's it is not necessary as the risk of having cancer is quite small.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon, they can best help address this question.   

Mammogram

Thank you for your question. Information on your family history of breast cancer would be important in order to answer this question. At 26 a routine mammogram may not be required unless you have a significant family history of breast cancer. I would suggest a conversation with your surgeon about the necessity of a mammogram. 

Best Wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Breast augmentation - is a mammogram necessary

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and pre-operative mammograms.

• I don't require a breast mammogram for all young women having breast augmentations -
  • And I don't require it for an implant exchange.
  • But a careful examination is necesssary.
  • If the breasts are too dense for a proper examination - a mammogram makes sense.
  • Although it is unusual for young woman in their 20s to have breast cancer, it can happen.
  • As for mammograms causing cancer - all x-rays are known to damage our cells - and too much can increase our risk of cancer - a reason to use mammograms when they are necessary.
  • If you had no breast cancer risk and your examination was entirely normal. I might not order a mammorgram but not every doctor would do the same.
  • Ask your surgeon if it is necessary - ask if an ultrasound (not radiation and no pain) would be ok.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.