I had Juvederm injectors in to my top lip only. I am on day 3 and there seems to be a gap in the middle of my top lip. (photo)

I have been icing my lips very regularly and the swelling has subsided some. Will this gap in the middle go away? Is this common with juvederm? Any recommendations?

Uneven filler?

Dear Merrick:

I would not say this is common, to answer your question. However it may be remedied easily, either via gentle massage from your injector (not you please!) or a tiny amount of filler at the gap. If it is still obvious at a two weeks after your injection (or if you are impatient look better and who could blame you for that),  please see the dermatologist or plastic surgeon who performed the injections.

Dr. Clark

Filler swelling

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It takes a few weeks to see the final outcome and i suggest you wait to see how it all settles.  If you are concerned speak to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Injections and Gap

It looks like the gap is from the swelling.  I wold wait another week or two wo assess the results.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Swelling

It is likely that the swelling is causing the gap. I would give it a week or two to settle. Good luck.

Absence of tubercle upper lip

There is no midline tubercle of the upper lip. You are correct. This is not anatomically correct. I would discuss with your doctor your concerns.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip Swelling Immediately After Juvederm Is Normal

Thank you for your question and for sharing your postprocedure photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  After Juvederm injection, there is typically an immediate result, which you will see right away, and a final result, which you will see in 2 weeks.  Postprocedure swelling and bruising is normal, particularly in the lips.  Normal postprocedure swelling can cause the appearance of some asymmetry or what you describe as a gap in the middle of your top lip.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours after the injection.  Arnica can help to minimize any postprocedure bruising.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow your swelling to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  It is possible that you may need slightly more filler centrally in your lip.  Best wishes!