Is this common to find a hard lump with saline implants?

Thank you for reading I have had saline implants for 9 years since I was 19 and now I felt a hard lump in my breast. I went to the doctor right away I had an ultrasound and a mammogram for the lump area the The doctor said that it looks like a implant pocket where they fill the implant I ask why I did not feel this before she said don't know does she sounds right could this be where they filled the implant in or I should see a other doctor Please reply.

Breast Lump after implants

Thank you for your question and the discussion. The lump or new mass may need addition work up/biopsy and evaluation. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and/or a breast surgeon for an examination, review of your imaging and thorough explanation of a treatment plan. Best wishes.Benjamin J. Cousins MDBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

It really will require an in-person examination to fully assess the situation. There could be a number of reasons, some benign, some serious. Other opinions may be useful.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Breast lump

Thank you for the question.   A lump in the breast deserves a full work up.  I am glad that you underwent an ultrasound and mammogram.  Firm masses are not caused by saline breast implants.   There could be some scar tissue, but that shouldn't result in a new firm mass.  Would recommend seeing another physician for a second opinion.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon