Minor weight loss. Will it make a difference to get to my normal size 6 rather than size 8 I am now? 8 weeks to do it (Photo)

I am normally a sz 6 at 138lbs. I have 10 lbs stuck on me. I am 145 weighing in this morning. Will this weight loss make a difference at all? I am 8 weeks out from surgery- but most of my weight is my stomach. I am at gym 5 days a week, plan on eating lower carbohydrate and low calorie until surgery, but like I said the weight is in my lovehandles and stomach. My surgery will include lipo of front flanks and abdominal wall. Should I really focus on weight loss or just continue my daily schedule?

Weight loss before tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  You are doing a great job with your weight loss/maintenance and getting ready for your surgery.  I don't believe an additional 10 lb weight loss will make much of a difference.  I think you will achieve a wonderful result either way.  Best wishes with your surgery.

Nice Result Either Way

A typical full abdominoplasty is performed after patients are done bearing children or after moderate weight loss. It can be a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles.

The improvement in contour depends on many factors. These factors include the extent of skin tightening and plication performed, the amount of pre-operative muscle laxity, the overall thinness of the abdominal wall, the amount of intra-abdominal fat (fat inside the belly), and the amount of subcutaneous fat (fat in the skin).

The ideal abdominoplasty patient is at or near their ideal weight, is stable at that weight for 6 months to year, is physically and nutritionally healthy, and is looking for help in removing excess, hanging skin. Realistic expectations are important. 

That being said, based on your pictures, I think you will get a nice result whether you loose the extra 10 lbs or not.

See our link below for more information.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Stable Weight

The closer you are to ideal body weight, the better the result you can expect from a TT but your weight should be stable going into surgery. I suggest you maintain your regular diet and exercise routine for the upcoming surgery. Best of luck!!!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck best when weight is stable

It is always best to have a tummy tuck when your weight is stable.  Then you know for sure the results will be permanent and not need a secondary procedure if you would loose more weight and the skin would become loose again.  A balanced diet is best before and after surgery to obtain the best possible healing.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Minor weight loss and planned tummy tuck surgery?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with tummy tuck surgery. Given that you are very close to your long-term stable weight, I would suggest that you continue on your daily schedule. In other words, it is unlikely that additional weight loss will  make a significant difference in the outcome of your procedure.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Should I lose 10 pounds to get to a size 6 from size 8 prior to tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question.  You are clearly very physically fit and very much ready for your tummy tuck.  You are an excellent candidate for your tummy tuck with liposuction and I am confident that you will have absolutely life-changing results!  Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Do not concentrate on losing any more weight.  You will be amazed at how good you will look after your surgery.  Surgical nutrition is extremely important, and you definitely should NOT be losing weight prior to this procedure.  If your body is in weight loss mode, you may lack the proper nutritional building blocks to help your incisions heal nicely.  This can put you at risk for wound healing problems, wound breakdown, and infection.  If I am not mistaken, I believe I see an insulin pump in your photos.  If you are diabetic, this is even MORE important.  Your sugars must be tightly controlled.  High blood sugars combined with poor nutrition are an absolute recipe for disaster.  Honestly, I tell my patients that I would be happy to hear that they GAINED a couple pounds prior to surgery, that way we know that your nutritional status is likely in pretty good shape.

Eat normal, eat healthy, and make sure you load up on good proteins over these next 8 weeks.  Exercise is completely fine but nothing excessive.  Losing 10 pounds before your surgery won't really make any difference in your results anyway.  I always tell my patients that with a TT and liposuction, they can expect to lose maybe 5 pounds.  But don't concern yourself with any weight loss associated with the surgery.  Concern yourself with how awesome you look in the mirror.  You aren't having "weight loss surgery," you are having "look better surgery"!  

Be sure you discuss all of this with your board certified Plastic Surgeon prior to surgery.  Do well, and best wishes!

Follow regular routinue before surgery.

I would recommend just following your regular diet and exercise regiment prior to surgery as you appear to be very fit and have a good plan to maintain that.  With your regiment, you likely will lose a few more pound prior to your surgery, but this will not have an impact on your surgery.  If you wanted to lose 30 pounds before surgery, I would say, yes, that should be done 1st, but 10 lbs would be minor.  You will likely lose about 5 lbs from your tummy tuck and liposuction, so this will be additive to your own weight loss.  Good luck.

Weight loss before TT

If you are going to lose 10-15 pounds it probably doesn't matter or significantly influence your results.  If you are going to lose 30-40 pounds it probably does.  Doing what you can prior to surgery is helpful, but not mandatory based on your desired goal weight.  Being near your goal weight (10-15 pound, or less) is best, prior to surgery.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss 8 Weeks Before Tummy Tuck

From your photos, you look to be an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty with liposuction of the flanks. Weight loss of about 7 pounds will not significantly affect your outcome but a healthy exercise and diet regimen before and after your surgery will enhance your outcome. Patients who are overweight and plan to lose 25 pounds or more before surgery should lose that weight before their operation because it will affect the aesthetic outcome. For example, less skin and fat in heavier patients are generally removed than less heavy patients.

Most of the contouring will be from the removal of the excess skin and fat hanging from your lower abdomen and also from the flanks. This will most affect how your clothes fit. In short, continue your healthy daily schedule and if that results in a few pounds weight loss, that is ideal. Good luck with the operation.

Christopher T. Chia, MD

Minor weight loss. Will it make a difference to get to my normal size 6 rather than size 8 I am now?

Greetings

Thank you for your questions. Congratulations on your weight loss I do believe that you will get outstanding results as you have done a good job with your weight loss.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon