How long should you wait to run and exercise after labiaplasty?

I am a college athlete, I need o be training as often as possible. How long is recommended until I can exercise again?

Running after labiaplasty

Every physician has different recovery requirements for their patients, but in general most surgeons recommend strenuous activity be avoided for several weeks, but light exercise can usually be resumed in 4 - 6 weeks. Since you are a college athlete, it is probably a good idea to schedule your surgery at the very beginning of your off-season so you have plenty of time to recover and start training again in time for your season. Good luck!

Exercise after labiaplasty

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week. Swelling can persist for several weeks.
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months. Ice can help reduce swelling.

How Long To Run and Exercise After Labiaplasty?

The best person to ask is your surgeon. In general, I recommend my patients wait 6 weeks before exercising. The type of exercise can alter that, however. Horseback riding or bicycling put more pressure on that area. Let your surgeon know the specifics of your sport.

To read about another labiaplasty patient's experience, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Running and exercising after labiaplasty

I tell my patients to wait 8 weeks after labiaplasty to do full on exercise, like the type involved for a college athlete. At minimum I would say 6 weeks. The tissue there is more delicate than say your arm or abdomen, and with excessive friction or tension or pulling, it can disrupt the healing process and then take even longer to heal. 

Anita Patel, MD

Labiaplasty Recovery

Every woman is different-as is every surgery and recovery.  Generally
speaking, I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the first
couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water
and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  You can plan on
getting back to work in 2-3 day.   Ice packs for the first 24 hours (and
I know it’s not terribly comfortable) can help tremendously with
swelling and pain.

My first follow-up exam is at 2 weeks and I ask my patients to refrain from any vigorous exercise until this exam.  Once I check a patient’s recovery personally, I usually release them to low-impact exercises that are “comfortable”, such as walking or the elliptical.   Nothing hi-impact, getting on a saddle, jarring,  hyper extending or sex at this point and generally not for at least 4-6 weeks.  You really want give yourself time to heal properly and my best advise it to to listen to your body. 

I always get questions regarding “getting in water.”  I allow my patients to shower immediately after surgery with a hypoallergenic soap.  And even suggest my patients take sitz baths a few days after surgery.  Water is not only very soothing, but is cleansing and healing.  I prefer to see a patient in-person again before swimming.

Typically, it’s business as usual in 6 weeks, but again, it’s a very individual process.  Always consult with your surgeon if you have any questions. 

Dr Lori Warren

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist

Start slow, 2 weeks

Don't go on a 5 mile run on day 14, but start slow. Weight training is better than the repetitive motion of running or biking (obvs) so try doing upper body and non-repetitive lower rep lower body work first. Speak to your doc. Full on training and running should be good to go by 3 weeks depending on your doctors technique. The wedge will heal much quicker than the trim!

#Exercise after labiaplasty

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity for approximately 4-6 weeks. Running would be about 6 weeks for my patients but walking whenever you feel comfortable.

How long before running and exercise after labiaplasty?

Dear S242,

In general, the labia are healed by 4-6 weeks, but continue under the skin remodeling for up to 6 months.  For light exercise and weight lifting, 4 weeks is okay to start but be aware if the area gets irritated or is extra sensitive to back off and wait a few more days and try again.  There is no point in hurting yourself after investing in yourself.  It is better to start slow and work your way back up to your regular routine over a few weeks.

For more vigorous exercise, I agree with all of my colleagues below, that 6-8 weeks is better to assure your edges are well healed and will withstand the workout.  Again, listen to your body.  If you start working out and irritation occurs, you are not ready.

For more information on labiaplasty, please visit the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

How long after labiaplasty before exercising

HI 5242,

I tell my patients not to engage in any exercise that will irritate the area. Running at a college athletic level
might be a little rough on the area. I would recommend at least 5 weeks before engaging tin this activity.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Christine Rodgers

Exercise post labiaplasty

There is exercise and then there is intensity exercise. As a college athlete I am going to assume that your exercise regimen is way above the average. Therefore I would recommend waiting 6-8 weeks and getting the green light from your surgeon prior to commencing exercise.