Labiaplasty, early but too much blood? (Photo)

I am on day 4 of recovery.have had extreme bruising and swelling... yesterday before bed I started bleeding quite a bit. Woke up today with my briefs covered in blood... i think a stitch came out yesterday (too early?) the bleeding is constant? Is everything looking okay? My follow up is in 2 days, not sure if I should go early because of my concerns or not!

Labiaplasty

You should contact your surgeon right away for a follow up visit.  It seems like normal bruising but it could be a bit of blood collection (hematoma) that needs to be drained. 

Labia appearances

are not concerning and I don't appreciate any active bleeding from your photo.  But if actively bleeding, I hope you already saw your surgeon to get it evaluated and treated if needed.  From your early look, your results should be good.  Follow your surgeon's instructions and give yourself time to heal.

Curtis Wong, MD

"Am I OK 4 days post-op...?

...When in doubt, email this same photo to your doc & ask. In my opinion , from this photo (& not knowing you or your particulars...) you look FINE with very normal minimal edema (swelling) and ecchymoses (discoloration.) You should, if appearances now indicate, have a FINE outcome! (see weblink...)

Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Bleeding After Labiaplasty

Thank you for including a photo of your labiaplasty suture lines, at 4 days after what appears to have been a wedge labioplasty. 

Your description of bleeding is a concern and I would recommend you alert your surgeon and be evaluated at your earliest convenience. If the bleeding is bright red and continuous, seek immediate attention in an Emergency Room. However, if the bleeding was a bit dark in color and episodic (a one time event, as you described), the bleeding was most likely the release of a hematoma, a collection of blood inside the suture line which had accumulated earlier, and is not a sign of continued active bleeding. Your photo is consistent with this possibility and the amount of bruising appears normal.

The amount of swelling also appears to be well within expectations for this time after your procedure.

The good news is that this is unlikely to have a negative impact on your overall results.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

You have blood trapped under your wedge labiaplasty scars and it's leaking out

You have bilateral hematomas. It appears that some of the trapped blood is leaking out. This will reduce pressure on the scars and that is a good thing. Wedge labiaplasty scars are weak and a reduction in pressure will reduce the risk of scar separation. See you surgeon for a better look at the rest of the scars.

Bleeding post labiaplasty procedure

Although it is common to have bruising, swelling and spotting post procedure, bleeding like a period should be evaluated.

If the bleeding has not slowed down then I would recommend trying to see your surgeon earlier then your scheduled appointment.

Best of luck.

Bruised

Dear Nataly

I think  I may have answered previously about your bruising and incision ..  Looking at the photo today..... sure you have bruising but it appears that it should heal well.  There is nothing you can do at this point  but sit back allow it to heal.  The incision appears like its OK!!!!!!  I may have said it looked split previously but it looks intact.  Bruising is a common common occurrence after any surgery.  That is nothing to worry about. !!! Lets hope it heals fine.  Go see your doc.......just in case . Best of Luck

john R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~Dubai

Labiaplasty, early but too much blood?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I do agree that you have significant bruising taking place and if you are continuing to bleed significantly, best to see your surgeon for an in-person examination to identify the area of concern and offer treatment options.