What kind of lip augmentation would be right for me? What goes into getting my lips done? (Photos)

I have always felt like my lips are too small for my face and I wish they were fuller. I've been looking around google trying to find options as well as good plastic surgeons but there's just so much out there that I feel overwhelmed. What kind of lip augmentation is the safest? Which type will give me the best results? I want to only have it done by a plastic surgeon due to horror stories of people getting it done by nurses. What options in Denver do I have?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

What kind of lip augmentation would be right for me?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I would recommend using a hyaluronic acid based filler such as Juvederm, as it allows you to completely reverse the results if you do not like them.  You can use the link below to find board certified plastic surgeons which you can contact to see who performs their injections.  

You are right to be wary of injectors in the state of Colorado. Our laws allow essentially anyone to be endorsed as an injector. Definitely, seek out a physician injector, either plastic surgeon or dermatologist who actually performs their own injections. Your lips are very pretty but would definitely benefit from a subtle increase in volume and definition. A filler such as Juvederm should work very nicely for you. In the vast majority of cases, one syringe of filler is plenty to augment the upper and lower lips. It is important to ensure that your injector has an exceptional aesthetic eye and doesn't overfill your upper lip or create "duck lips." Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation Options

Thank you for your question.  Lip Enlargement, is a procedure which involves adding volume to the lip either by permanent lip implants such as PermaLip™, or via an injectable lip filler. This gives lips a fuller appearance and reduces the fine lines and wrinkles. It will help effectively fight the signs of ageing, improve your smile, and leave your lips looking wonderfully natural.Lip Fillers (Juvederm or Restylane) are a good temporary solution, costing approximately £280, lasting 4-6 months.  PermaLip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and feel natural, yet enhance your lip volume to your desired size.  It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.Please find a reputable and qualified surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best

Lip Augmentation

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. In my professional experience, it is possible to consistently gain better symmetry and overall shape of lips with injection of hyaluronic acid lip fillers as it allows you to completely reverse the results if you do not like them.  While these are temporary (lasting about 6 months) they are quick, simple and have minimal pain or down time. For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with dermal filler and hyaluronic acid cosmetic injections.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question in regards to lip augmentation. Hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm would be a great start to adding volume to your lips. Although lip fillers are temporary, HA fillers are also reverseable if you end up not liking your results.  To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Lip augmentation can be done successfully using synthetic fillers or fat transfer. Synthetic fillers have different characteristics so will tend to create different looks. They will last between a few months to about  year depending where it is placed. Fat has more initial swelling but will be completely natural and results will last many years if done properly.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation Question

Thank you for your question! Both myself, and my nurse, Annie Bruno like to augment the lips with hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. Depending on what you need, your provider should be able to help you decide which filler is best for you after a full facial assessment. For best results, I would advise having your provider numb your lips with a topical numbing agent (for comfort) prior to your procedure, and making sure to select a provider that specializes in facial aesthetics. Dermal fillers are safe and minimally invasive when performed by a well-trained injector (just because an injector is a physician does not guarantee a desired outcome.) I hope this is helpful to you!

Be well,

Dr. Todd Hobgood MD

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Great question!  There are two types of lip augmentation that I do which are both very safe and effective, but each has their advantages and disadvantages.

One technique involves injection of hyaluronic acid - sold as Juvederm or Restylane.  This can be done awake, with numbing cream.  Its quick, minimal pain, and minimal adverse events.  However, the augmentation only lasts about 8-10 months, and will require re-injections to maintain volume.

Since I am a plastic surgeon, the other technique I do is fat grafting to the lips.  This involves a very little liposuction to remove fat on your body.  This fat is then processed and then injected into the lips.  What is great with this technique is that it involves your own tissue, and because it is living tissue, it is permanent and will last for almost a lifetime.  And it looks more natural since it is a natural substance.  However it is a more involved procedure.

There are other ways to do lip augmentation such as implants, but they also come with more adverse complications.  I generally just stick to the two above as I described.  Click on the link below to read more about the procedure on my website.  Good luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Your lips are very nicely shaped, but it sounds like you are interested in adding volume. This can be achieved in a natural looking way using a hyaluronic acid filler in the hands of a skilled injector. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

I suggest you see a physician for a formal evaluation there are many options for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.