I'd like some information on a non invasive procedure called the "Spider Web Lift"?

I recently read about a new non invasive procedure called the "Spider Web Lift". How new is this procedure and are there any studies done to show efficacy and outcomes? Also, is it a procedure done in the USA?

Hello cynfitz,
Thanks for your question.
This is a thread lift by another name.
Thread lifts cost alot and typically don't last a year from what I have seen.
It is often that I find threads in patient faces at the time of surgical facelift.  They loosen contact with the skin and the face falls soon thereafter.
I would recommend that you consult with a facelift specialist in your area about options that do work and would last for you.
If you have any other questions, you are welcome to contact us at my practice in Denver.
Take care,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

About a Facelift

A #facelift is a surgical procedure designed to remove the major folds and wrinkles that form on our faces with age. Gravity, sun damage, smoking, living in a dry climate, and a variety of factors contribute to the aging process of our faces. Facelift techniques vary from patient to patient to give each person a procedure tailored to produce the best possible surgical result. A facelift will smooth out major folds and #wrinkles, #tighten the tissues beneath your skin, remove #sagging and excess skin. A facelift can also reduce excess skin around the #neck and #jawline. There is not just one facelift procedure, but a whole range of #facelift procedures. These different techniques have been developed over the years, involving different incisions and lifting the skin to varying degrees. A facelift may also involve the tightening of certain muscles and tissues, or liposuction of areas such as the jowls or chin.

It is important to understand that facelifts are meant to remove major folds and wrinkles, not fine wrinkles. A facelift which removes every line and fold would be too aggressive and would result in an unnatural result. Fine lines and #wrinkles are better addressed by skin treatments such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, which we also offer at our office.
During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Please don't be misled by marketing hype-it is another term for the thread lift which has proven to be inconsistent in results. Do not be taken in by this deceptive advertising. A facelift by an expeerienced board certified plastic surgeon is your best option.

Important Update on Spider Web Lift: Save Your Money

Different decade, same unrealistic promise.  Thread lifts don't work, but the terminology to describe them continually changes.  In circumstances of facial aging, nothing has and nothing will replace a facelift until we open Pandora's Box and alter the genetic code of aging.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Options

This is very similar to the "thread lift" that was offered by some physicians several years ago. It did not give desirable or long-lasting results for most patients. We would recommend a consultation with a board-certified plastics surgeon to determine the technique best suited for you.

Janet Turkle, MD

Candidate for a face and neck left

In our practice, rejuvenating the face involves a lower face and neck lift which includes tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and neck muscles, tightening that SMAS and lifting the jowls, and removal of fatty deposits in the neck. To successfully rejuvenate the face requires  treating  the skin, muscle, and fat to produce a natural result.

Non invasive procedure called the "Spider Web Lift"?

It is yet another variation of a "thread lift", which have generally not produced reliable lasting results and have fallen out of favor. There are no studies that have shown safety or efficacy.

The exact technique is far less important than having the procedure performed by an experienced, excellent artistic plastic surgeon who individualizes the procedure based on your anatomy and desired outcome.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

The Spiderweb Facelift

The spiderweb facelift is performed by inserting very thin wires into your subcutaneous skin of the face. Your skin is then lifted via tension of these wires. Then, a filler is used to compensate for volume loss and Botox to relax muscle to fade wrinkles. 

That being said, there are several other type sod facelifts, with varying degrees of invasiveness, all with excellent results. I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a full consultation.

Regards,

Manish C. Champaneria, MD

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties with early "Jowl" formation.  Non smiling photos, of your face, from the front and side would help in the evaluation.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.  It's important to keep all of these "heavily marketed" non-invasive so called facelift procedures in the proper perspective.  Non-invasive techniques typically shrink the skin several mm's.  There are 25.4mm's in one inch.  The minimally invasive facelift described here can remove 2 to 3 inches of skin which equals 50.8 to 76.4 mm's or up to 25 times the amount of loose skin provided by non invasive techniques.  That reality should always be front and center in the decision making for prospective facelift patients.  It should also be noted that non invasive techniques have no ability to properly dissect, elevate, trim and re-suture the SMAS layer making then on dimensional at best.  

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine whatever facial shaping that's necessary with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.