I weighed 380lbs at the age of 19, 58 waist. Now 33 y/o and would like to get a better idea in tummy tuck pricing? (Photos)

Currently, I am 33 y/o and 235lbs. My weight has fluctuated. I get discouraged because of the skin. I have gone as low at 190lbs. The skin looks horrible. I would like to get an abdominoplasty. I am extremely healthy. I plan to lose about 20 more lbs before it. I have been discouraged and astounded at the variability of prices for the surgery in Colorado. I am on a budget but would still like to get it done. Not interested in financing. What is most affordable state or country to get it done?

With massive weight loss as you have experienced

you would benefit from a tummy tuck, even a lower body lift if you wanted it circumferential and breast reduction.  Its best that you call around and see what fees are and if the stated fees are beyond your reach, figure out what budget you have and call and see if anyone will accept that as full payment.  Believe me, there are some surgeons who need the business (and are well trained) and would seriously consider it.  Otherwise you're looking at having to finance or save up the amounts you are told from your calls.

Tummy tuck

Firstly, you will want to make sure that you reach your goal weight and maintain a stable weight for at least 6 months prior to your surgery for optimal results because weight fluctuation can affect your results pre and post operatively. In regards to cost, it varies depending on the geographic location, technique and surgeon. You can visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) website to find a board certified plastic surgeon and I would call them to set up a consultation so you can have a detailed estimate written up for you. I can tell you that the Realself average cost for a tummy tuck ranges between $8,000 and $9,000. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Cost varies by Location, Anesthesia, Surgeon, Etc.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Cost Effective Decision Making for a Tummy Tuck

I cannot stress enough how careful patients should be when it comes to choosing the surgeon to perform their cosmetic surgery, including tummy tuck.  Yes, the cost of surgery can vary quite a bit and everyone wants to get the best result they can achieve without spending more money than they have to spend.  I would urge you to select a plastic surgeon within a reasonable driving distance from your home unless there aren't any well-qualified plastic surgeons near you.  You can start by going to the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and using their physician finder.  Once you've located a surgeon that may work for you, check out their website and reviews to get an idea of their work and the satisfaction of their patients.  Chose your surgeon based on their work, not their price tag unless they charge substantially more than the "standard" in your area.

The cost of surgery may be higher with the surgeon you choose than some other options you find online, but if the more expensive surgeon gives you great results without the need for revisions down the road, it may save you money in the long run.  I'd be hesitant to travel to another state for surgery, as it may be difficult to find a surgeon to help you with the management of complications should they occur once you've returned home.  If you are able to find someone to help you at home, the new surgeon will almost certainly charge you for their help in your post-op care adding to the total cost of your procedure.  I would absolutely not consider going overseas for surgery, as the standard of care and cleanliness may be significantly lower than in the US and the same issues would apply to your aftercare.  I've taken care of a number of patients who "saved" money on their first cosmetic procedure only to spend far more money at home fixing the complications that developed upon returning home.

Cheap Surgery Equals High Risk

Sorry, but you'll likely have complications or look butchered by a cheap surgeon. You want a surgeon with excellent training, certification (ABPS certified/ASAPS membership are very important) , skill, and experience. In addition, you want someone who will place your scar low, use progressive tension sutures, and avoid the use of drains. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Pricing

First of all, great job on the weight loss. It really requires a complete change in lifestyle to accomplished what you have done. At the same time though, I agree with you that you still need to lose some more weight before surgery. I suggest that for optimal results you get your weight back down to 190 lbs. Once your BMI gets to around 30 or above, then your complication rates go up and your result suffers. You will still have a round belly due to intraabdominal fat that isn't touched by the tummy tuck.  In regards to pricing, there is a great deal of variability that is sometimes hard to explain. However, in general, if you want the least expensive procedure, you could have it done at a University Hospital with a Plastic Surgery Residency. Oftentimes, by going to a resident clinic you can get your surgery at significantly reduced rate. Just keep in mind that you are part of someones learning curve and your result will be less predictable.

David Graham, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Cost of a Tummy Tuck

A tummy tuck is a wonderful procedure to contour not only the abdomen, but the flanks and back as well.  It consists of 3 basic steps:

1. Skin removal
  2. Fat removal
  3. Muscle repair

Every tummy tuck is individualized to each person, so the length of the scar, length of the procedure, cost of the procedure, down town, drain tubes, etc., all vary.  Based on the limited photographs submitted I would recommend at least an extended tummy tuck and maybe a circumferential tummy tuck or lower body lift.  Please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in massive weight loss surgery patients to assure the best possible result. 

The price range in my city ranges from $7,000-$10,000 for the total cost of the procedure, including surgeon's fee, facility, pre and post operative care, bandages, photographs, anesthesia and garments.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck pricing

Hi denerguy.

Let me congratulate you on your achievement in weight loss, and a change for a healthy lifestyle.

I would urge you NOT to make price your deciding factor.  You are not a standard tummy tuck patient.  You are a massive weight loss patient who seeks body contouring.  A tummy tuck alone may be all you will need to achieve your goals, or you may need more.

I would suggest that you seek a board certified plastic surgeon with a passion for, and a great deal of experience with this type of surgery.  I also suggest that you keep saving your money, and wait not only until you are at your goal weight, but you have been able to keep that weight stable.

As a massive weight loss patient, your surgery will likely be more complex than a non-massive weight loss patient, and you may also have other factors that will make management of your medical issues more complex,

Again, congratulations, and best to you.

Sek

Time for a Tummy Tuck

Dear Denverguy,

It is always tricky when you are comparing prices. The surgeon's experience, expertise, the qualifications of your anesthesiologist, and where the surgery is performed, an overnight stay, and types of medications or supplies used will also come into play. The downsides of travel are that your risk of blood clots can go up, and you may be on your own if you experience a complication while healing.

It is probably not a bad idea to keep loosing weight before surgery as long as you are not restricting calories too much that could impact your healing.

You didn't include posterior pictures, and an exam will be the best way to know for sure, but you may be a good candidate for a circumferential procedure like a belt lipectomy or possible liposuction in the love handle or flank area for the best result.

Good luck,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD