I have very bad scaring from acne. I also have enlarged pores and lines around my mouth. Laser resurfacing? (Photo)

What treatments would you recommend to help combat these issues? I was thinking about laser resurfacing, but I'm also thinking about being preventive regarding wrinkles. I'm 32 yrs old and i would like to have a treatment that can help with the minor wrinkles, saggy skin, under eye bags as well as the enlarged pores.

Halo Hybrid Fractional Laser

Hello, Sciton's Halo Hybrid Fractional Laser may be a good option for your desired results. The laser uses both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths to the treatment area providing the same results as more aggressive treatments without the downtime. Because of its hybrid technology, it is safe for darker skin tones. Halo treats enlarged pores, signs of aging, and scars. It can also be combined with the ProFractional laser which targets acne. I recommend researching a dermatologist/physician who offers the Sciton laser system in your area and can examine your skin and determine if you're a good candidate for the laser treatment. At our office, we offer customized packages based on each patient's skin type so I'd recommend inquiring if your provider does the same. Best of luck.

Acne Scars with pigmented skin

With your skin type aggressive laser resurfacing may not be the best option.  We are seeing good results with a combination of microneedling treatments and at home product use.  These would be much safer and have less of a risk of pigmentation changes for you.  With your skin type choosing the right board certified physician is a must.  

Acne Scarring and Wrinkles

I would be concerned about being too aggressive with laser treatment for acne scarring due to your skin pigmentation. I would suggest fractionated C02 at a decreased setting or preferably a series of Clear and Brilliant laser treatments. In addition, minimal filling of your cheeks with Voluma would help the saggy skin, under eye bags and tired look. 

Kevin S. Pinski, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars, saggy skin and enlarged pore treatments

Hi, I just added a couple of links that might be helpful...

Hi lackhnt. I am getting nice results with different techniques: nonablative fractionated treatments, chemical peels and/or microneedling. Microneedling requires little downtime, several treatments and carries the least amount of risk. From your photo, looks like you may be at risk for hyperpigmentation with very aggressive treatments-consider skin conditioning with a pigment suppressor (hydroquinone). Start with a proper skin analysis by a practioner experienced with ethnic skin. Good luck!

Type 6 skin with acne scarring and wrinkles is best and safely treated with the Infini

The Infini is safer for your skin type than laser.  If done at proper settings, the risk to your pigmentation is low.  It is my go to device for dark skin types and for acne scars in any skin type.  It also helps with skin tightening and wrinkles.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Is Laser Resurfacing and Option for Me?

Given your skin tone I would suggest a fractional laser/radiofrequency treatment that is nonablative (fraxel, sublative, viva) with or without microneedling.  Dark skin has the ability to hyperpigment much easier and you have a high risk for that if you have resurfacing performed.  Please see a laser expert for any of your treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.