Does an existing liposculptured body area 'tell' the future fat cells to go to an untreated area? (Photo)

I am considering LIPOSCULPTURE and BBL. I might mistaking, but I believe that if I would get a LIPOSCULPTURE on my upper and lower abs, upper and lower back, hips, flanks inner thighs, upper arms and in certain areas of my buttock, my future weight gain of fat cells will be in the areas that have not been gone thru liposuction. Am I wrong? I would appreciate an answer from all those great surgeons out there. Thank you so much.

Liposuction will take away fat cells from those areas reducing cell number and fat bulk. If other areas that warrant liposuction are not addressed, theoretically, future gained fat will selectively settle in these areas. They have more untouched fat cells that will will be more receptive to the new fat. 
Best is to address all bulky areas altogether to achieve some harmony that is not affected when you gain or lose weight. Good luck. 

Does an existing liposculptured body area 'tell' the future fat cells to go to an untreated area?

Hi. You are an excellent candidate for liposculpture and BBL. Good healthy eating will maintain the shape that you obtain after your surgery. This does not mean a diet...............it simply means eating correct and healthy.

Search for surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create a shapely, attractive buttock or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely behinds? The same holds true for the liposuction portion of the procedure. Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL ( not including LAL because the fat obtained through this technique will not be useful) is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction and fat transfers. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck

Thank you for your question .
You should eat healthy after this procedure. You will not gain much weight in those areas again , but the fat has to go somewhere so you will need to eat healthy for your results to stay and for your owe health. 
Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Fat redistribution

This is a good question. In my experience, when an area is liposuctioned less fat grows there with weight gain. This is probably because of scar tissue in the area. Other areas that were not treated, may have more fat growth with weight gain. For this reason, it is imperative to maintain a stable weight after liposuction. 

Moises Salama, MD

Generalized response is maybe? But you can never be sure about the response of fat cells in the body. 

Fat Gain After Liposculpture Is Heaviest in Non-Treated Areas

If you are considering liposculpture, I would strongly advise you to be sure you are on a diet and exercise regimen that you can easily maintain for life. If you do gain weight after liposculpture, it will first be visible in the untreated areas, where there are more fat cells present. If the gain is significant enough, you will again have fat in the treated areas, too. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist to make sure you get the most out of your liposculpture treatment.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Good question

That is a good question and one we get on regular basis.

You are born with a set number of fat cells.

Your fat cells do not divide when you gain weight unless someone becomes grotesquely obese, in which case they do. Your fat cells do not move unless done so by a plastic surgeon. After liposuction, fat cells have been permanently removed.

This gives a new fat cell distribution.

If people gain or lose weight after liposuction and a Brazilian butt lift, then they will gain or lose weight where they still have fat cells.

That means if you gain weight in the future, your Brazilian butt lift will get bigger as well as any areas not treated with liposuction. The areas that have been treated with liposuction will still have some fat cells just as before your procedure. That means areas previously treated with liposuction will get bigger with weight gain, just not as much as if you didn't have liposuction.

I hope your upcoming procedure delivers as expected and then some.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction

You will not make new fat cells after liposculpture.  However, the fat cells that are left behind will get bigger or smaller based on your exercise and diet.  If you maintain your weight, the fat will not go somewhere else.

Liposuction and weight change

No you don't suddenly start adding fat cells in other locations after liposuction.  If you gain substantial weight all of your fat cells will enlarge but the trouble areas that you have treated should now be in line with the other areas of your body.  Substantial wight gain is not recommended however.  This is one of the reasons why the best candidates are in their normal BMI with a stable weight.  Find a surgeon that you trust that you can discuss this aspect of liposuction in more detail.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon