Follow-up Question - Are Doctors reluctant doing a Revision Mini Face/Neck Lifts? (photos)

Had a mini done 8 years ago and my neck looks like a turkey again and I would like to get it lifted again. My present Doc has never done a revision and looks at me with a blank stare when I suggest one! Can this be done without another mini or is it better to have both done? I am still out in the work force and want to look good!

To see previous question, please click here.

Secondary face lifts

Dear Kathy,

Secondary facelifts are very common and studies have shown that patients are typically even happier the second time around. I'm not sure why you are getting a blank stare, perhaps his mind is just doing some planning. With an exam your needs can be determined, and I typically also use volume (fat transfer) and skin rejuvenation (laser) for a comprehensive and natural approach while you have the downtime when healing. Neck skin is very thin and inelastic, so the older a patient is, the less tight this will stay. If you are not already using a retinoid I would suggest you do and include your neck. Start slowly and gradually increase in frequency as tolerated. Your neck skin is more sensitive and you might advance a little more slowly. This will help to improve the quality of your skin by building collagen and improving the texture.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision Face Lift

Thank you for your question and for attaching pictures. From your pictures is appears you are a good candidate to have a face lift which will tighten your neck and jowls as well as give you a more refined jaw line. Your platysma bands should be tightened and/or divided to improve your neck. You should find a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in your area who specializes in facial rejuvenation. Your surgeon can use the same incisions and give you the more youthful appearance you are looking to achieve. Good luck to you.

Secondary facelift surgery following a mini facelift?

Plastic surgeons who specialize in facelift surgery see many patients years after their initial procedure to have a secondary procedure performed.  You should have no difficulty finding an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery to perform the procedure for you.

In general, I prefer to avoid a mini lift and prefer a more thorough long-lasting surgery that on average lasts for close to 12 years.  This can be done with hidden and camouflaged incisions to give a more natural and long-lasting result.  Please enjoy the video I have linked above.  Make sure that you select an experienced plastic surgeon comfortable with performing your procedure.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Are Doctors reluctant doing a Revision Mini Face/Neck Lifts?

Most lift procedures will eventually require revision procedures. Sometimes this is a repeat surgery. Often other procedures are a better choice for maintaining a youthful appearance these include fat transfer, laser and ThermiTight. These may not only give better results but are less invasive than a "lift" surgery.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision

Looks like its time for a re tightening of the neck and face.  Its difficult to tell what is needed from just a frontal view.  Its best to see an experienced, qualified surgeon for a personal consultation.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Mini Face/Neck Lift/Dr. Reluctant--Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermag

It may be time for another lift. Sagging loose skin on the neck needs a face/neck lifting.  Non invasive options like vaser/thermiRF combination, thermage/ultherapy, kybella and fillers can help.  Please see an expert for evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Revision Neck Lift

After 8 years it is not uncommon for the skin and soft tissue of the lower face and neck to relax requiring another surgery to restore your youthful neck and jawline.  Since this is not truly fixing anything that was done "wrong," we prefer to call it a secondary facelift instead of a revision facelift.  Semantics aside, you should choose a surgeon who has performed many secondary facelifts and understands the issues the can arise when a facelift has been done previously.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follow-up Question - Are Doctors reluctant doing a Revision Mini Face/Neck Lifts?

Thanks for your question. A surgical revision is a small procedure done to make changes in the results of a recent operation. Your surgery worked well for almost a decade. Time has passed, your face has aged since the last operation and it is time for a face and neck lift (not a Mini). This is common and expected (but apparently not so with your surgeon). I think it is time to move on to a more experienced physician. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

It is time to do another lower Face/Neck Lift.

It is not really a revision in your case. It is just time to do it again. You would look great and it is easy to undergo under local with a little iv sedation.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini is a bad description

You've brought up an interesting subject.  The word 'mini' in describing a Plastic Surgery procedures.  It really is a poor description since it does not mean the same thing to all surgeons.  Surgical procedures, especially in the face, need to be patient specific addressing anatomical issues and the desires of the patient.  A "mini" procedure gives mini results that may not last very long.  It just depends on what you want achieved.  After 8 years, it's not a revision anymore.  Please seek out a board certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in facial cosmetic surgery for the best outcome.