Follow-up Question - Are Doctors reluctant doing a Revision Mini Face/Neck Lifts? (photos)

Had a mini done 8 years ago and my neck looks like a turkey again and I would like to get it lifted again. My present Doc has never done a revision and looks at me with a blank stare when I suggest one! Can this be done without another mini or is it better to have both done? I am still out in the work force and want to look good!

To see previous question, please click here.

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift is an exciting new way to improve the look of your neck and jowl regions. The procedure typically takes only about an hour-and-a-half to complete and is done as an outpatient, same-day surgery. It mirrors a mini-lift surgery in that patients are able to resume their usual activities in less than one week, and is commonly called the shrink wrap method which replaces the need to cut away or remove any of the excess or sagging facial tissues. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Mini Lifts Should Expected Over Time

Another mini lift will give you better results than a neck lift alone. Eight years is quite a long time to have had good results from your mini. It is normal and expected to perform revision surgery, as the face continues to age – regardless of how extensive and dramatic the original procedure. Please find a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is comfortable and has experience doing revisions. I hope this helps.

Are Doctors reluctant doing a Revision Mini Face/Neck Lifts?

Hi, there's no logical reason to avoid a revision or really, in this case a secondary facelift as long as you are in good health and have the signs of facial aging that a facelift can address.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts both primary and secondary (revisions).  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat around the cheeks (below and in front), jowls are present and I suspect that the chin might be weak (can be confirmed with a non smiling side view of your face).  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Secondary face lifts

Dear Kathy,

Secondary facelifts are very common and studies have shown that patients are typically even happier the second time around. I'm not sure why you are getting a blank stare, perhaps his mind is just doing some planning. With an exam your needs can be determined, and I typically also use volume (fat transfer) and skin rejuvenation (laser) for a comprehensive and natural approach while you have the downtime when healing. Neck skin is very thin and inelastic, so the older a patient is, the less tight this will stay. If you are not already using a retinoid I would suggest you do and include your neck. Start slowly and gradually increase in frequency as tolerated. Your neck skin is more sensitive and you might advance a little more slowly. This will help to improve the quality of your skin by building collagen and improving the texture.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision Face Lift

Thank you for your question and for attaching pictures. From your pictures is appears you are a good candidate to have a face lift which will tighten your neck and jowls as well as give you a more refined jaw line. Your platysma bands should be tightened and/or divided to improve your neck. You should find a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in your area who specializes in facial rejuvenation. Your surgeon can use the same incisions and give you the more youthful appearance you are looking to achieve. Good luck to you.

Secondary facelift surgery following a mini facelift?

Plastic surgeons who specialize in facelift surgery see many patients years after their initial procedure to have a secondary procedure performed.  You should have no difficulty finding an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery to perform the procedure for you.

In general, I prefer to avoid a mini lift and prefer a more thorough long-lasting surgery that on average lasts for close to 12 years.  This can be done with hidden and camouflaged incisions to give a more natural and long-lasting result.  Please enjoy the video I have linked above.  Make sure that you select an experienced plastic surgeon comfortable with performing your procedure.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Most lift procedures will eventually require revision procedures. Sometimes this is a repeat surgery. Often other procedures are a better choice for maintaining a youthful appearance these include fat transfer, laser and ThermiTight. These may not only give better results but are less invasive than a "lift" surgery.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision

Looks like its time for a re tightening of the neck and face.  Its difficult to tell what is needed from just a frontal view.  Its best to see an experienced, qualified surgeon for a personal consultation.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Mini Face/Neck Lift/Dr. Reluctant--Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermag

It may be time for another lift. Sagging loose skin on the neck needs a face/neck lifting.  Non invasive options like vaser/thermiRF combination, thermage/ultherapy, kybella and fillers can help.  Please see an expert for evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Revision Neck Lift

After 8 years it is not uncommon for the skin and soft tissue of the lower face and neck to relax requiring another surgery to restore your youthful neck and jawline.  Since this is not truly fixing anything that was done "wrong," we prefer to call it a secondary facelift instead of a revision facelift.  Semantics aside, you should choose a surgeon who has performed many secondary facelifts and understands the issues the can arise when a facelift has been done previously.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon